• ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Hi All,

I am trying to get some first hand info on anyone dealing with 38 semi auto's. Yes I know they are not a "regular product" but there have been some.

I am getting ready to finish my Carne here in Perú (my permenant Visa) and once I do I can get a concealed permit.

The largest caliber that can be carried for concealed purposes is a 38. The Glock 25 is readily available down here but I don't really want a 380.

I can carry alot more rounds in a 38 semi and have better stopping power than the 380.

I do know the FBI Stats "average gun fight is usually only 3 rounds" okay I understand. But I feel more comfortable having more rounds. It goes to the old proverb "better to have them and not need them to need them and not have them."

As I said I am looking for first hand experience not what someone may have read or heard.

A friend of mine is buying me my first gun in South America as a gift and he told me to get what I want and not to worry about the cost. Yes I know I have great friends.

So tell me what you know.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    38 super, I have one by rock island armory it was rough to start but a new mag a a little bit of polish it is a great pistol for the money and great prreformance(close to .357 mag)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not a big fan of the 38 (any type).....I've seen a kid take one to the chest/abdomen.....kind of "mid-center" under his sternum...and he was relatively ok....moving and conversating normally until medical attention could be provided....spent some time with some medical care but was ultimately not as bad off as I would like a person to be if I had the need to shoot at them.....of course the .38 and .380 are largely considered by majority of the industry's experts as being the "minimum effective self defense caliber(s)"....I simply wouldn't put my life on them if at all possible....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hi All,

I am trying to get some first hand info on anyone dealing with 38 semi auto's. Yes I know they are not a "regular product" but there have been some.

I am getting ready to finish my Carne here in Perú (my permenant Visa) and once I do I can get a concealed permit.

The largest caliber that can be carried for concealed purposes is a 38.

So spell out to us exactly how the caliber restrictions are worded in the law. It may make a difference in what is recommended.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Full-power rimmed cases and autopistols are notoriously unreliable. There are very good reasons such creatures are rare. If .38 S&W Special is your caliber of choice under the law, I'd strongly suggest a revolver.

If you must have an autoloader, you will be much better served if it uses cartridges designed for an autoloader, even if those cartridges are somewhat less powerful.

As WebSnyper mentioned, the exact wording of the ordinance matters - if the local restriction is simply based on diameter or on a "non-military-only" designation like in Mexico, you would be better served with .38 Super or .357 Sig.

Good luck!

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Thank-you everyone for your comments. I am really thinking of the 38 in the S &W Bodyguard. because of Peruvian Law I can only carry a max caliber of a 38. I can own larger but you cannot carry it.

I thought of the Glock 25 which is a 380 but I just can't drink the Glock cool-aid. It may be not much protection either way but I will use what I am allowed to.

Down here I will also have to use full metal jacket and the only way your legaly allowed to use your gun in self defense is if the attacker has a gun as well. So supposedly if he comes charging at you with a large knife and you shoot him, you will end up in jail. That is of course if you can't get to your Embassy. Hey did I mentio I know all the routes to my Embassy!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thank-you everyone for your comments. I am really thinking of the 38 in the S &W Bodyguard. because of Peruvian Law I can only carry a max caliber of a 38. I can own larger but you cannot carry it.

I thought of the Glock 25 which is a 380 but I just can't drink the Glock cool-aid. It may be not much protection either way but I will use what I am allowed to.

Down here I will also have to use full metal jacket and the only way your legaly allowed to use your gun in self defense is if the attacker has a gun as well. So supposedly if he comes charging at you with a large knife and you shoot him, you will end up in jail. That is of course if you can't get to your Embassy. Hey did I mentio I know all the routes to my Embassy!

If it is truly caliber and .38 is truly the maximum, then 9mm is less than .38 caliber. I suspect however, it is not solely based on caliber, but rather there is a list of approved/non approved or that there is some other specific stipulations as I believe many countries list 9mm as military only and therefore restricted.

Knowing exactly what the law states would be hugely beneficial in making a recommendation.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    .357 sig, .38 super, .38 special, and 7.62X25 are all calibers that come to mind. Another question that would be worth answering would be if the newer expanding full metal jacket ammo would be legal in your country. It is not proven to be as effective as some of the better hollow point ammo, but any chance for expansion would be better than none at all. If expanding ammo is entirely off limits, it would open a whole other can of worms debating over penetration with some of the higher powered handgun cartridges.

Top Bottom