Looking for Input 1911 Options and opinions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    After my wife has signed off on a Wilson Combat and I never really followed through, for some reason I just held back. After recently events I am ready to go forward, with one minor change going to go with a custom build.

Going to go with Nighthawk components:

45 Acp
    Gov size
    Flat top Slide
    Trijicon sights
    25 Lpi front strap checkering
    carry weight trigger pull.
    I am wanting to go basic black with G10 lok grips, and perhaps a small degree of personalization? Just wonder how far one goes with making it your own?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am sort of old school. the most i would do, have some crazy grips or get custom ones with your initials.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Stan Chen one piece magazine well and main spring housing. Normally I recommend Cylinder and Slide for parts but unfortunately they are no longer in business.

For a refinish I always reccomend Ionbond, according to the technical literature on sliding metal surfaces TiN is the "best" but I prefer Ionbond / PVD for its ability to get a very nice polished blue finish reminiscent of old school guns, but with a modern indestructible finish.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Stan Chen one piece magazine well and main spring housing. Normally I recommend Cylinder and Slide for parts but unfortunately they are no longer in business.

For a refinish I always reccomend Ionbond, according to the technical literature on sliding metal surfaces TiN is the "best" but I prefer Ionbond / PVD for its ability to get a very nice polished blue finish reminiscent of old school guns, but with a modern indestructible finish.

Thanks I am guessing I might need to up grade the mag well. I am going to have Allen M do the build for me. I can not say enough nice things about him and his work.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Cylinder and slide found a purchaser as I understand. Website is still up, etc. Thought I saw something on their social media at one point saying they found a buyer.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    After my wife has signed off on a Wilson Combat and I never really followed through, for some reason I just held back. After recently events I am ready to go forward, with one minor change going to go with a custom build.

Going to go with Nighthawk components:

45 Acp
    Gov size
    Flat top Slide
    Trijicon sights
    25 Lpi front strap checkering
    carry weight trigger pull.
    I am wanting to go basic black with G10 lok grips, and perhaps a small degree of personalization? Just wonder how far one goes with making it your own?
    What made you decide on Nighthawk components? Take a look at Harrison Design parts, probably the best i've used and in all honesty are probably made to his specs by EGW that is a great company in its own right. And I can also throw in another recommendation for the Chen magwell.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    What made you decide on Nighthawk components? Take a look at Harrison Design parts, probably the best i've used and in all honesty are probably made to his specs by EGW that is a great company in its own right. And I can also throw in another recommendation for the Chen magwell.
    Primarily information from Allen M. I am not hitched to the idea and once I get closer . One thing I am wondering if the EGW components lead to a lighter trigger pull? For its intended purpose I am comfortable with a 4~5 pound range.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    To clarify, Nighthawk frame and slide make a nice choice to build on.
    Small parts may vary

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    To clarify, Nighthawk frame and slide make a nice choice to build on.
    Small parts may vary
    Thank you ultimately I am going to go with your recommendation. My wish list is fairly simple I thunk.

P.S I could hardly wait to run the STI so I was out doing drills at Stones River it is covered , it ran like a sewing machine regardless of mags or ammo, fmj, Jhp .

Top Bottom