• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Oh I bet we’re on the same ‘less government’ team.

I have no idea what you have or where/how you live so won’t make any judgements, but if you had something remote but the land around it wasn’t yours or locked up then you might want some rules involved to help your neighbors not be able to completely depreciate what you have worked for.
    Does that not seem reasonable to you?

I enjoy hearing people complain about the government and then going off on a rant about how lines on the roads are an intrusion in our lives, and don’t get me started on stop signs. They look at you funny after you make those points.
    Where do you draw the line?

We will have to "agree to disagree". My next door neighbor had dozens on junked cars on his property. It doesn't bother me, because it's his property.
    It doesn't cause any problem with my property.
    DJI_0483r.jpg

Stop signs and lines on roads are on property the government already owns. But if they make laws to "stop my neighbors from depreciating my property", that means they have all kinds of laws on what I can do on my own property. So that's where I draw the line ("my" property.) The road you're suggesting is what ends with HOAs and restrictive zoning covenants. I don't like that road.

Ditcherman is living in reality, xwing, you are wanting utopia.
    I am talking reality. The "no government at all" is unfortunately a pipe dream, but the "do what you want on your land" is pretty much true. There are no zoning nor building laws in our county, and I'm very happy with the result. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I moved here when I could go anywhere in the U.S. https://www.co.greene.in.us/egov/apps/faq/list.egov?view=details&id=76 The only ordinance is that they started requiring a septic permit a few years back; and many people are still angry about that one. So it's not perfect here, but still better than anywhere else. (Kinda like the U.S.A.; lots of problems but everywhere else in the world is worse.)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We will have to "agree to disagree". My next door neighbor had dozens on junked cars on his property. It doesn't bother me, because it's his property.
    View attachment 301921

Stop signs and lines on roads are on property the government already owns. But if they make laws to "stop my neighbors from depreciating my property", that means they have all kinds of laws on what I can do on my own property. So that's where I draw the line ("my" property.) The road you're suggesting is what ends with HOAs and restrictive zoning covenants. I don't like that road.

I am talking reality. The "no government at all" is unfortunately a pipe dream, but the "do what you want on your land" is pretty much true. There are no zoning nor building laws in our county, and I'm very happy with the result. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I moved here when I could go anywhere in the U.S. https://www.co.greene.in.us/egov/apps/faq/list.egov?view=details&id=76 The only ordinance is that they started requiring a septic permit a few years back; and many people are still angry about that one. So it's not perfect here, but still better than anywhere else. (Kinda like the U.S.A.; lots of problems but everywhere else in the world is worse.)
    It is all good man, until it isn’t. But you are locked into your rational and no logic will change that…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    View attachment 301921

Appalachia and Rural Mississippi would fit your needs very well. Really.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    View attachment 301921

Nice place BTW. But really, no limits? I can open a McDonald’s next to you? Buy and acre and cover it in junk windmill blades? Shoot with my buddies all night every night?

The scrapyards in my post were not a guys with junk cars, they were businesses, drawn because of cheap land (at the time), no zoning, no regulations.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    View attachment 301921

Looks like a beautiful place!
    Sounds like a great place to live.

I'm cool with agreeing to disagree about our perspectives overall.
    I feel like I'm like the gun grabber arguing "common sense" gun laws, about property laws, and I really don't like that because I am pro freedom, but you can't tell me you'd be ok with the landowner next to you selling off 1/2 acre parcels all the way down the road and those same type of neighbors stacking cars up? Or running a meth lab that just can't seem to get busted? That that wouldn't depreciate your property?

But you do know you own to the centerline of the road, right? The government most certainly does not own that property, you do and you pay taxes to the center of the road, they've just taken use of it, for the "greater good" or whatever. I'm strictly talking county here, maybe cities are different as far as actual ownership, I've never lived inside any city limits save for one year at college. The governments don't own the land the county roads sit on.

I don't even want to get started on the EPA and Army Corps of Engineers and their heavy handed approach to restricting what farmers and private property owners can do, and this could apply to you too if there were wetlands involved. Point is it goes way deeper than just county and local interference, the feds are watching too.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Nice place BTW. But really, no limits? I can open a McDonald’s next to you? Buy and acre and cover it in junk windmill blades? Shoot with my buddies all night every night?

The scrapyards in my post were not a guys with junk cars, they were businesses, drawn because of cheap land (at the time), no zoning, no regulations.
    Go for it! I shoot with my buddies many days on my land, sometimes w/ 50BMG. You could come over and join us. :) And I'd pick up an Egg McMuffin in the morning from your McDonalds. :)

"Greene County, Indiana, is not subject to planning or zoning ordinances, and the only permit required from the County in order to plan or build residential or commercial properties, or to renovate or remodel same, is a septic permit as regulated by state statute or administrative code or to the extent of local health code ordinances are implicated if property does not have access to a sanitary sewer. The Greene County code of ordinances may be found on the link below should you wish to inspect those ordinances or refer others to those ordinances in support of absence of planning, zoning, and permitting subject to County regulation."

It would be perfectly legal for you to build the McDonalds with no interference or say from the county. I think you'd have to pass a health inspection to open to the public. But it's (relatively) free here, and that's better. I'm shocked that several in this thread want less freedom, but that's everyone's prerogative. I guess some people only like freedom if it fits their pre-conceived notions? :scratch: [Personally, I'd like to explore a minarchy ala L. Neil Smith, but know that'll never happen.]

But you do know you own to the centerline of the road, right? The government most certainly does not own that property, you do and you pay taxes to the center of the road, they've just taken use of it, for the "greater good" or whatever. I'm strictly talking county here, maybe cities are different as far as actual ownership, I've never lived inside any city limits save for one year at college. The governments don't own the land the county roads sit on.

I don't even want to get started on the EPA and Army Corps of Engineers and their heavy handed approach to restricting what farmers and private property owners can do, and this could apply to you too if there were wetlands involved. Point is it goes way deeper than just county and local interference, the feds are watching too.
    I actually own the land on both sides of the road near me. (>100 acres) And yes, of course the federal government, the state, and the county all restrict rights where they shouldn't. And the EPA is among the worst offenders. But at all levels, I advocate for less interference, not more.

Top Bottom