• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    A young not to knowledgeable guy at work inherited a Luger. He found out its worth more than $200 and sadly he wants to sell it. I told him not too as it can be regretful but he is undecided about how he feels about guns in the home and he wants it out of his shoe box lol. He wants to sell to me cause he knows it will have a good home basically. A luger is on my list so I gotta do some research. I havnt seen it yet to check out the proofs but he says it was made in 1916 and its a 4 inch in what he calls great shape. No holster, and 3 mags (2 are matching numbers with wood (broken) and the other is a newer replacement he bought. Provided what he says is true what should I offer him?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The prices are all over the map, of course depending on the condition, whether or not it is all original and where it was made. If it is in very nice shape and everything matches, then it should bring no less than $700-$1,000. The more rare ones go for several thousand dollars. It really takes an expert to judge the value of Lugers and I'm no expert.

dk598

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    It's hard to find a shooter luger for less than $700 and that is in rough condition. If the serial #s are all matching, condition is good and WWII era, it could bring a pretty penny. I think the WWI and the Interwar years are starting to go up with the increase in WWI memorabilia too.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Wait until you have inspected it and done some research on your own then ask him what he really wants for it, then offer him $50.00 less and go from there.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd probably offer $7-800 for it, and that would be an absolute steal for Luger in the condition that you describe ("great" shape and the numbers matching mags are a big plus to the value. You can replace the wood baseplates.) The actual value to a collector would easily be double your offer...again, depending on the condition.

I hope you snag it at whatever price you two feel good about. Hopefully you update this thread and list out the major stampings and other details! We could definitely identify that Luger for you.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I talked to him in depth about it. I offered him $800 pending inspection. He says $950, he thinks its fair cause he now knows what there going for. He wont sell it to me till after his mom passes away cause its still hers but she didnt want it either. I got time lol. I said Id still like to check it out to see all the markings and Identify it. I was hoping to make this a birthday present to myself but oh well Im not gonna hope for any mans mother to die for both of our personal gains. That aint right.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I talked to him in depth about it. I offered him $800 pending inspection. He says $950, he thinks its fair cause he now knows what there going for. He wont sell it to me till after his mom passes away cause its still hers but she didnt want it either. I got time lol. I said Id still like to check it out to see all the markings and Identify it. I was hoping to make this a birthday present to myself but oh well Im not gonna hope for any mans mother to die for both of our personal gains. That aint right.

Take your camera + a mini-tripod and go over to him/them and take lots of photos.

You don't want to have offered your money on something that turns out not to be what it is you think it is.

-J-

Top Bottom