• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with the other posts regarding 49 grains being too hot. The advice of starting around 45 gr should get you a good shooting load that is safe from bending the op-rod. Plus, you save a little bit on powder!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Please explain. I am curious how you do this.

Gas operated rifles like the Garand, with its free floating firing pin can be prone to slam fires caused by primers being seated too high. They should be installed below flush. How you go about this I cannot tell you, but it needs to be done, I know many use whats called a Hand Priming Tool for their Garands to seat the primers deeper than flush.

Many have found using IMR4895 46.5 to 47.5 with 150 gr. bullets works well, if that helps.

reloading for the M14/M1A...http://m14forum.com/ammunition/92425-help-me-get-right-track-reload-m1a.html

Interesting read on Garand an primers concerns an reloading...http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=446228&highlight=Garand+reloading+primer

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    You can single shot load a Garand. Just insert a round into the chamber, release the op rod handle, and fire. However, the Garand was designed to have the bolt strip the round out of an enbloc clip. The friction of this action slows the forward movement of the bolt. If you release the operating rod, and let the bolt slam forward on the already chambered single round, it is possible (but only very slightly) that the unrestricted forward movement could give the firing pin enough momentum to strike the primer with enough force to fire the round.

What you can do is release the op rod, and slowly ride it forward about halfway, before fully releasing it.

Or you can get a "S.L.E.D." -- Single Load Enhancement Device. It's a modified enbloc clip that remains in the magazine, and allows you to load one round at a time. They are often used for slow-fire competition shooting.

There are also modified enblocs that hold 2 rounds (used with a full 8-round clip for 10-round, rapid fire competition) and 5 rounds (for hunting). Those clips get ejected after the last round, just like the regular 8-round clips.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I never had any trouble loading for a Garand using IMR 4350. Don't ask me the load, it has been too many years. When I used to load alot, I used Redding small base resizing dies for all my .223, .308, and 30-06 and I do believe over the years they were a good investment as I shot my ammo in a host of different semi auto rifles.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Go to the civiliam marksmanship website,CMP, and go through their process. The Fed Ex guy brought my Garand ammo to the door, sealed in the ammo cans. The stuff was already in en blocs and I havent had a single problem out of it. They are better in price than anything else i've found out there since I do not reload yet.

And I agree with the SHTF weapon.... there is a reason this rifle won 2 wars and was still being used later on in Vietnam.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There's nothing wrong with loading your own replica M2 ball ammo.
    However since you are going to be just getting your feet wet with an entirely new-to-you gun I suggest that you find some factory M2 Ball to use just to get acquainted with the platform.
    The CMP is a good bet, actually your best bet. When you look into it, it seems like a hassle. It's not, and it's a one-time deal. If you're serious you need to get the process started ASAP.
    If I remember right you're from Fairbanks. I'm not far away, just North of Vincennes. If you want to come down to play with Garands and pilfer thru munitions, USGI goodies ect ect send me a PM. I have quite a bit of M2 ball and could find some to send home with you. I'm 18 miles South of the U.S 41/S.R. 154 jct at Sullivan.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    ^^ sloughfoot has it right ^^

I've been loading for a Garand for 16 years and have never used a primer pocket uniforming tool.
    I think the uniforming tool would be ok to use if your shooting benchrest, but for your average reloader/shooter all you need to do is remove the crimp on military cases.
    .223 in a AR, .308 in a M1A, 30-06 in a Garand I have never had a slam fire.

Top Bottom