Manufacturer Vs. Brand of AR Receivers and Quality Difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I've attempted to search for this, but mostly found posts here and elsewhere saying "not another one of these threads" without actually referencing the threads as to where to get the proper info (let alone if that information is antiquated.

From my reading, it seems that there are only a handful of receiver manufacturers despite the huge number of brands (certainly there are places that have their own in-house manufacturing, too). So, what's the difference in strength/quality between the brands from the same manufacturer? I think the canonical example is Aero making receivers. Stag, Aero, and BCM all have the same marking on the uppers, but with a price jump of $10-15 for stripped uppers from Stag to Aero or Aero to BCM.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If the receivers are coming from the exact same forge such as Cero then the final retail price probably comes down to things such as buying power in quantities, contract agreements, etc. AERO may not have as much invested because they choose not to have their logo laser etched on the upper like BCM does. Just an example. I'm sure contract terms for larger quantities play a part too. Each company may have a different anodizier with contract terms that dictate price

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    90% of the forged upper and lower receivers are made by Cerro forge and are roll marked with whichever brand is selling them. I've found that the manufacturer in house milled receivers are much higher quality with tighter tolerances.
    Not saying the forged receivers are crap, they work, just that there's less wobble or gaps and are closer to spec in milled receivers.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Anyone want to comment on grain structure and ultimate strength of forged vs billet receivers (they are both milled to final dimensions). Right or wrong, what I have repeatedly read is that forged receivers have improved grain structure that makes them stronger than equally dimensioned billet receivers.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Anyone want to comment on grain structure and ultimate strength of forged vs billet receivers (they are both milled to final dimensions). Right or wrong, what I have repeatedly read is that forged receivers have improved grain structure that makes them stronger than equally dimensioned billet receivers.
    I think it's a moot point. The lower houses the trigger and it the only moving part in the structure(basically). If both can withstand being dropped or ran over without breaking then to me it doesn't matter. Now Magnesium lowers are a different story

Oneofus1

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2018
    Ft wayne
    so the receiver comes out of a forge that is true, there are only a few. but google image search raw forged upper receiver. there is still ALOT of work to be done by the company that finishes it

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    so the receiver comes out of a forge that is true, there are only a few. but google image search raw forged upper receiver. there is still ALOT of work to be done by the company that finishes it
    Not as much as work as you think, companies have large fixtures, holding several parts at once, those fixtures are then on "pallets" that shuffle themselves in and out of the machine. The hard part is writing the program , and designing the fixtures.
    Magazine wells broached in under 20 seconds, the pocket to hold the hammer & trigger machined in 30 seconds, and so on......

As to quality one is as good as another. After talking to a representative from a large well known manufacturer , the representative stated that "they make several other brands lowers" and "most all about the same"

Personally I like rock river arms, I use there lowers because I like the triggers, and because I have a National Match from RRA and find it's about perfect. Now that being said, I have hit the line and seen every different manufacturer on the planet present, pick the lower manufacturer you like, buy there lower, don't give a hoot if someone bad mouths you for not having a certain brand name.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom