• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Remington went bankrupt and Ruger bought Marlin out of the Bankruptcy Court. They are going to continue manufacturing Marlin Firearms.

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    Ruger bought Marlin out of the Bankruptcy Court after Remington went bankrupt. But I don't think they should be too hard to find.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just FYI,
    If you can't find a 336, or don't want to pay the prices they're bringing, take a hard look at Mossberg's 464 lever action .30-30
    If you are as impressed as I was, you'll buy one too.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have a friend looking for a Marlin in 3030. Model 336 I suppose.

Are they still making these?

If not, what model/years should he look for in the used market.

Thanks!

Look for a used one?

I suspect he may want to mount glass if he is looking for a Marlin, but if not an old (pre-64) Winchester 1894 is tough to beat.

Most Marlins I have held onto are pistol caliber....except, perhaps, for a little .444... LOL

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    If you do come across a used Marlin model 336, check the manufacturers stamp on the barrel. When Remington took over production with the Marlins (around 2010 or 2012?) the workmanship reportedly took a hit. From what I have read, anyway, the fit and finish suffered. For that reason, the original Marlin-made 336s, which had a JM stamped on them, bring a premium because they are considered higher quality. The models made under Remington's rein, affectionately referred to as Remlins, were considered inferior, at least for a few years. I think they got their quality control in better shape in the later teens, and then they went bankrupt, as you know all about now :-)

Disclaimer: This info is not from my own experience, as I have never owned a 336 (yet), but just from what I have heard and read, so take the quality / reputation / value info with a grain of salt. I just wanted to give you some background in case someone wants to charge you more for the JM models.

Top Bottom