• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I've never bought a seperate rod and reel before. Is matching them as simple as looking at the line test recommendations on the rod and matching it to the line recommendations on the reel? Or does size, weight or other factors need to be considered?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The guidlines on the pole are a a good guideline, but when it comes down to it put on it whatever the heck you want. line weight to me is more a matter of what weight lure you will be using. i fish with 1/2 and 3/8th oz stuff all the time and anything over 12 pounds can make casting a chore.

if you are the bank/pond fishing type you cant beat 6 pound braid.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I have an employee that fishes in Indiana bass tournaments. I have never owned a bait-cast setup. His advice was a 6 1/2 to 7 foot medium or medium-heavy rod, fast action tip with the handle your prefer (1, 2, 3, or 4). I like IM6 graphite. The reel should have 3 ball bearings minimum, magnetic clutch (dial type) & a reel that will hold 120 to 140 yards of 12 lb test mono or fluorocarbon line.

I know that there may be differing opinions but that is what I am going to try. We'll see if he is right.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Pete, I would agree with him 100%. I was kind of surprised when I moved to Indiana (from Bama 11 years ago) how many people haven't used bait-cast. It is, once easily mastered, the best and most versatile setup going. To practice, I recommend a 1/2 to 5/8 oz weight and try tossing it into a 5 gallon bucket with a free spool and braking with your thumb. Once you have a few feet down move the bucket further away. Picking out backlashes can be a PITA, but it's worth it. Once you have it down, then move to thinner line, 8 or 10 lb. Thinner line lashes worse, but gives more control. HTH

Top Bottom