• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Anyone have any idea about the Maverick 88. From what I hear, its essentially a mossy 500 series gun with a simpler trigger and furniture and more foreign made parts.

Anyone have any experience with them? Im not looking for a world class trap gun, just a beater shotgun for plinking, self defense, then maybe throwing a field barrel on it and shooting a few clays and ducks. And will it take mossy-500 barrels, or is there after market barrels avialible cheaply? I would be looking to get at least an HD barrel and a 24-28 inch field barrel, then perhaps even a slug barrel if I get the desire to hunt deer at some point.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    The safety is in a different location. Barrels and stocks are interchangeable but the forend are different. It is a cheaper 500. My son has loved his it was his first shotgun.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Other than the safety location and trigger group material, a Maverick 88 is the same shotgun as a Mossberg 500. They're assembled in Maverick County, Texas, with US parts and a Mexican trigger group. I don't think there's any difference between the groups, just plastic vs. metal.

The Mav is better for pistolgrip stocks, Mossy is better for traditional stocks. That's about all.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The safety is in a different location. Barrels and stocks are interchangeable but the forend are different. It is a cheaper 500. My son has loved his it was his first shotgun.

ding ding!
    this is correct. My buddy has one and it has held up well. Just take care of it with regular maintenance and it should be fine.
    I will add that, in comparison, I really like the way a Benelli Nova (or the supernova) feels. The longer grip up front keeps me from pinching and I can hold it a bit more comfortably.
    The Mossberg 500/Maverick 88 and the Rem 870 front grips are just a 1/2" too far forward for my liking.
    The Maverick 88 is a great value, especialyy when you consider that you can easily swap barrels with one of the most popular designs out there, the Mossy 500.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    well that settles it, when I return from England(after living here for a month, its a no brainer why we fought the revolutionary war), Im going to trade off my CZ-82 and become the proud owner of a maverick 88 shotgun

Top Bottom