• ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have a friend called that is looking to get his brother a WW2 semi-auto firearm for a birthday present. He's wanting a rifle or smaller sub ish type firearm and not really looking for a pistol. He's wanting to stay around $1000ish. He mentioned a STG44, MP40, Sten, Garand, Tommy gun, M1A and some others. I told him he'd be better off buying a lotto ticket in hopes of hitting the lottery than find what he mentioned for his price range but I told him I would see what I could come up with.

The only thing I could come up with is a M1 carbine. They're good rifles and close to his price range. He's not stuck on US firearms but I'm trying to keep him in the US genre of firearms. I'm not sure if there is anything else to suggest that would be in his price range. He's not wanting anything cloned that shoots 22lr either. Can I get some opinions or suggestions that might help him on his search.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Buying a milsurp as a novice is treading in dangerous waters.

I’d start here with a Garand.

I was thinking that but can one buy a firearm from the CMP without being a member?

And Yes, being a milsurp novice is in the dangerous "I know a liitle but just enough to get into trouble" waters for me. Reason for my plead for direction. A man needs to know his limitations yes?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I was thinking that but can one buy a firearm from the CMP without being a member?

And Yes, being a milsurp novice is in the dangerous "I know a liitle but just enough to get into trouble" waters for me. Reason for my plead for direction. A man needs to know his limitations yes?
    It is not terrible complex to meet the requirements to purchase through CMP.

Another option is to call Phil Peterson at Precision Arms in Columbia City, IN. He literally wrote the book on milsurps. Give him a budget and expectations and see what he can come up with. Worth paying for his expertise.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Thanks for the info. I will give him a call tomorrow morning. I will also look further into the requirements to purchase through the CMP.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

I second the Garand.
    Ones that are correct will be a little saltier if you are going that route. Parts are easy find and swap out if you/he wants to do that. Plus, 30-06 is easier to find, and Enblocs, slings and bayonets are everywhere.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

This is the way to go. Your LTCH will count as the shooting part of the requirements, joining the Garand Collectors Association ($25a year) covers the club requirement

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is the way to go. Your LTCH will count as the shooting part of the requirements, joining the Garand Collectors Association ($25a year) covers the club requirement
    Another vote for going the CMP route for a Garand. Pretty sure Service Grade rifles are still well below $1K.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    CMP is definitely the way to go. I've had hard luck trying to find an STG or MP40 that is semi auto, and also a MILSURP. I know Atlantic Arms had semi-auto MP40's as repro's. You could also find an Auto Ordinance Thompson, but I don't think you could get one for 1K.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    CMP is definitely the way to go. I've had hard luck trying to find an STG or MP40 that is semi auto, and also a MILSURP. I know Atlantic Arms had semi-auto MP40's as repro's. You could also find an Auto Ordinance Thompson, but I don't think you could get one for 1K.
    HMG makes reproduction sturmgewhers, in the following calibers
    • 5.56/.223
    • 7.62×39
    • .300 BLK
    • 7.92 x 33 (this is the original caliber)
    Around $2,000ish
    I held one at NRA convention they are neat

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    HMG makes reproduction sturmgewhers, in the following calibers
    • 5.56/.223
    • 7.62×39
    • .300 BLK
    • 7.92 x 33 (this is the original caliber)
    Around $2,000ish
    I held one at NRA convention they are neat

HMG ... ooph. The outfit that's had a "*shipping soon*" teaser on its website for near five years now. They've taken more than a fair share of pre-orders only to delay, delay, delay, and delay production for whatever reason, with little to no explanation. What I would give for an STG clone in 7.62x39, but I'd bet my collection it won't come from these guys.

OP I wouldn't roll the dice on vaporware. CMP is a safe bet.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Just to let everyone know, my buddy lost interest after his brother and him had a falling out. I still want to thank everyone for their help and useful information. Best part of this situation is I will have my CMP membership very soon.

Top Bottom