• ...and so much more!
  • BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Hey All

I've let a couple older mini-14's pass through my hands and although I didn't like the front blade sight and they weren't very accurate (particularly after several shots), I am considering looking for a series 581 ranch rifle.

Those of you that have experience with the newer model mini's (581s), are they more accurate than the older rifles and do the heavier barrels make a noticeable differnece?

Also, are the new Tapco Gen 2 magazines reliable (mag cost will play into my interest here).

Really, any comments on the newer rifles would help.

Thanks!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Hey All

I've let a couple older mini-14's pass through my hands and although I didn't like the front blade sight and they weren't very accurate (particularly after several shots), I am considering looking for a series 581 ranch rifle.

Those of you that have experience with the newer model mini's (581s), are they more accurate than the older rifles and do the heavier barrels make a noticeable differnece?

Also, are the new Tapco Gen 2 magazines reliable (mag cost will play into my interest here).

Thanks!

:yesway::yesway: to both questions.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    I have one and love it. Haven't got to shoot it much, but the little I did was at 25 yards with cheap steel case ammo and it was dead on. I've handled older ones and can say te barrel seems to be quite a bit better. I see your in NWI also, If you make it out to the nwi meet and shoot tomorrow and bring some ammo, your more then welcome to run some rounds thru mine. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...son_3_sun_29_jul_2012_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

Edit: didn't read closely enough your location, now see hat your in northeast Indiana, opps

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Hey All

Thanks!

Yes, they are much more accurate then the older ones. I had an older stainless model that I got rid of a couple years back and regretted it. Then the newer ones came out, so I had to get one. They shoot fantastic and eat anything. As far as the tapco mags goes, I can't answer that. I got 5 factory 20 rounders as of right now and they are GTG. Stay away from National, ProMag, John Masen, etc. My only gripe with the gun are the junk mags.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Ive got 2 tapco 30 round mags 1 pro mag 10 rounder and 1 ruger 20 rounder in transit right now. Ill try em all out next weekend and let you know what I find out. Im not going to hold my breath on the pro mag but ive heard mixed reviews, only heard positive stuff about the tapco mags, and obviously the ruger mags are going to be the best. nutnfancy on you tube praises the tapco mags tho and ive always had good luck with all my other tapco mags for my other guns so well see. As far as the new 580+ series go they are good to go as well, only problem I have had with my 582 series is the plastic handguard cracked in the first 30 rounds, nothing major just a hairline crack about a half inch long, so I ordered a choate handguard cause I like the looks better, its supposed to be more durable, and supposed to help with cooling the barrel. Accuracy is good to go and like they said minis will eat any kind of ammo you feed it

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The newer ones are much more accurate. I wouldn't recommend Tapco mags, and encourage you to buy factory Ruger ones. Anything else is sub par from my experience.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    well I got to try out my pro mag and tapco magazines today. didnt spend a whole lot of time with them cause i bought a 10/22 and a sr22 (awesome pistol!!! :D) this weekend so they got most of my attention, but in the short amount of time I shot my 582 series mini today I found out how much these mags suck! The tapco fits extremely tight in the rifle and the problem I had with it was the tip of the round would get caught on the inside of the magazine body. Had to help lift the front of the bullet up to get it to feed. This happened probably 12 out of the 30 rounds. nothing I tried did anything to help it. Also had one double feed.

Now the 10 round pro mag is absolutely JUNK!!! I had some nasty jams with it. Round wouldnt feed properly 90% of the time and and the bolt would slam on the side of the case putting nasty gouges and dents on it and one time had one jam so bad it locked my bolt up and had to drop the mag to get the round out.

So stick with Ruger mags! My mini runs 100% reliable with the factory mags, worth the extra money if you ask me, unless you want some practice clearing jams then go with an aftermarket magazine.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thanks for the report. What was the overall length of the ammo you used in the Tapco mags? Do you think the OAL was the problem?

Not sure the exact overall length but I was using 62gr lake city m855 ammo. it is possible that a shorter round would run more reliably in the tapco mags but I dont have any others to compare to. feel free to donate some different rounds and I'll run another test ;) maybe here in another week or two I'll get some different rounds and run it again :ar15:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It has nothing to do with the OAL length of the round. The mags simply suck. If Magpul ever makes a Mini P-Mag, I'll give it a shot. But until then, I'm not wasting my money on cheap aftermarket crap.

Top Bottom