• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prowler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2016
    Bloomington
    Today I went out to Panther Ridge and finally sighted in my mini-30 at 50 yards using some old Winchester white box 762s, it had a price tag of $6.50. I didn't like the original sight so I put a different one on. I wanted to keep it hard sites so there wasn't too much to chose from. Got something decent with windage and elevation adjustments. After about 12 rounds and a few adjustments I could pack 'em in on the inner circle and got 1 in the center. Good enough, then I fired about 10 rounds of TuL ammo. They seemed to work ok but I didn't fire too many at one time and I only fired 10 shots so that could change with quantity and rate of fire. They did shoot high though, I suspect because of the differences in manufacturing. I need to test that theory later. Overall I had a good day at the range.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sounds like a good day!! Glad you got it sighted in!, I've heard horror stories about the older Mini14's, I actually had an older one, it was hard to hit the ground when shooting it at it........I'd love a mini-30, I love the round, and the smaller Mini-30 (compared to the SKS) is a neat package, I have an SKS, but the Mini-30 would be better. Good luck, and good shooting for a long time!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The barrels do heat up and change impact points on mini 14 and mini 30 ( America’s AK) normally the impact seems to shift up.

find a case of anything 7.62 and sight her in. 50 yards should be back on target at 200 and 20 yards should be back on target at 300. That is the Russian AK WAY. Stick with what you sighted on with and you be fine.

Mini’s in general don’t love steel case ammo. Some will tolerate it others will refuse to function well with it. Mini 30’s seem more forgiving than mini 14’s with steel case rounds.

they area blast to shoot. If you have multiple mags mark them as I had a problem mag that came with mine years ago.

Prowler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2016
    Bloomington
    I do like the mini-30, small platform, this one is a stainless pre 2005. Works well and seems to shoot the steel case ok. Although at some point I'll probably get a newer 7.62x39 rifle, I have been looking at Rock River and IWI. The IWIs are kind of pricey and I thought I heard about IWIs being a little exclusive as far as standard parts. Just looking around now may change my mind later and decide on a .308 instead and just have the mini.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Mini 30 is one of my favorite rifles. It took me a long time to figure out I got a bad pair of rings on the scope I was using. Point of zero would change drastically, and it was because the scope was moving in the rings.
    I've only ever shot privi brass cased ammo with mine. I find it to shoot 2 or so inches with a flyer to stretch out the group usually.
    In terms of an American made rifle with a decent optic mount, I think the Mini is a solid alternative to the AR/AK. Mine is a newer rifle. It has the thicker barrel.

Prowler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2016
    Bloomington
    Went to the range again today to sight in my Anderson AR. I put an Utradyne C4 sight on and proceeded to sight in at 50 yards. Don't know if the ammo I was using was not consistent or I need to sight in at 25 yards instead. At 50 yards it is supposed to be good at about .5 moa low and at 25 yards it is good at about 1.5 moa low. Anyway it was all over the paper and I even had one off the paper..
    I'm shooting Winchester white box, 5.56 and 55 grain fmj which is what is recommended to sight in. I suspect the ammo so I'll go back and sight in at 25 yards using the same and see what happens. I was more accurate with my mini-30 then the AR (?) at this point but I'm now suspecting the ammo.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    True above. Winchester white box is my normal sight in ammo in many calibers. May not give the best groups over all brands but is very consistent on the chronograph and bullet weight. My 22 rimfire aight in ammo is cci mini mags.

does it have iron sights? If so use them at 50. Get some sand bags and a bench. Since ammo is so expensive at the moment you might go to the range with someone who can watch, observe and give guidance.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Thank You SO Much for your Post! I inherited Dad's Mini 30 when he passed & the Last time I shot it was With him. You have reminded me I need to run some Rounds thru it, Again! Many Thanks for stirring my Memories.

Prowler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2016
    Bloomington
    Went back to the range with my AR. I could blame the misses on the rifle because it was new and had not been broke in yet but, I'll have to say it was me for the reason rounds went all over the page. Shot it and zeroed at 25 yards with a setting at 200 yards with the Ultradyne C4s and got it in for that distance at about 1.5 moa low. Shot it at farther distance and hit target at 100, small target a little tough seeing out farther, works well I'll have to try to reach out farther later probably at a larger target. 8-)

Top Bottom