• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Do anyone have any experience with MBC's 357 bullets? Seen where they had lead (brinell 18) that can be used at magnum velocities or powder coated bullets for a little more. Was thinking that lead had to have gas checks for the higher velocities over 1200fps. It would be nice to be able to get some bullets at good price.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm running some 45 colt from Missouri @1350fps and no I'll effects yet. Leading is minimal to none and accuracy is great. I emailed Missouri bullet and they said 1300 was about the max they could recommend.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I run the MO 158 g LSWC with 13 g 2400 in SAA with very little leading. Probably close to 1200 fps. Does have good cylinder bore fit which likely helps. I do prefer the flat bottom to the bevel bottom. But the flats are hard to find since I do not cast my own.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I bought a Marlin 1894C in 2007 and have put 877 rounds through it, mostly cast bullets. 160 grain LTC cast bullets from a local supplier, which I believe are wheel weight composition, have been accurate with target loads (38 Special) and 357 Magnum loads. The Magnum loads are about 1700 fps using Lil'Gun based on data on the web (I do not have a chronometer). Leading has never been a problem. My local supply dried up because the supplier was diagnosed with lead poisoning. I was impressed with MBC attention to the hardness, so I bought some 158 grain LSWC in BHN 18 for Magnum loads and BHN 12 for the 38 Special target loads. My equivalent target and magnum loads with the MBC cast bullets were not nearly as accurate as the local bullets. I have no idea why. Last year I put a low power scope on the rifle and have been using Hornady 180 grain XTPs over Lil'Gun for deer and have been very pleased with the results, harvesting bucks on opening days in 2013 and 2014. Hornandy appears to have quit producing the 180 grain XTPs, so I am going to have to come up with a substitute, maybe the 158 grain XTP. I haven't been shooting cast bullets lately, but might try working up an accurate cast bullet load some day and using it for deer.

Top Bottom