• ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    MO, double date Mosin M44.

PICS!! I picked up a 1944 Izhevsk M44 today in pretty good condition. The barrel has been counter-bored but the rifling looks good. It has a second date of 1952 and has the MO mark on it as well. I read up on that marking some on 7.62x54, but wondering how common they really are. It felt pretty special finding it, but I'm sure it's probably not as rare as I'm hoping. Any feedback is appreciated. Here is a few pics, my camera isn't the greatest, the receiver pic isn't the best..

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/zachj03/?action=view&current=12-29-11040.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/zachj03/?action=view&current=12-29-11039.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/zachj03/?action=view&current=12-29-11038.jpg

Last edited:

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like the 91/30 might be more common for the MO mark but I could be wrong. Just kind of wondering if anybody on INGO might have a similar marked M44. I know there is some examples posted on 7.62x54, with pictures. Seems like there is also some confusion with the MO mark and the second and or third dates actually being related.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Nice. I haven't really been looked at the M44's a whole lot in the past, just ran across this one at a local shop and thought it might be kind of special so I picked it up. I'll be looking at them in the future now, seeing if I find any more with similar markings.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    WOW great find ! I have never seen a MO double dated M44 before ...

manygunsmike

I couldn't figure out why the heck it had two dates on it at first. I came home and did a little researching, and told my girl I needed to go back first thing in the morning and get it. I couldn't get back there fast enough, lol.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    Nice find! I'm looking for some M44s to add to my collection. This wasn't a gun shop in Marion was it? I'm not far away and always looking for new shops.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Nice find! I'm looking for some M44s to add to my collection. This wasn't a gun shop in Marion was it? I'm not far away and always looking for new shops.

It was a shop in Marion, it was the only M44 there though. And I won't have picture access until after the 25th as my dad paid me back for it, and is giving it to me as my Christmas present :-) It's already killing me though because I want to hold it, look at it, cycle the bolt, all that stuff.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    It was a shop in Marion, it was the only M44 there though. And I won't have picture access until after the 25th as my dad paid me back for it, and is giving it to me as my Christmas present :-) It's already killing me though because I want to hold it, look at it, cycle the bolt, all that stuff.

Okay...so which shop? Id love to know somewhere around the area that at least gets them in. Thanks

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana

I know the feeling HA ...!

manygunsmike

Please post pictures when you can !

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Okay...so which shop? Id love to know somewhere around the area that at least gets them in. Thanks

It's called, Trading Post, LLC.. Its a newer pawn shop, decent selection for only being open a few weeks. I have also seen a few at McDonald's, its out in the country, but I'd say he has the best selection of stuff around Marion.. Hope that helps.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    A very nice find. Possible value ~$275 and up to the right collector. The laminated stock is a nice bonus too.

Thanks for your input. I've looked for similar M44's being sold online, but can't really find a whole lot. And were these rifles ever re-finished on the receivers? It looks as though that the original markings are a little faint, but the dates, and MO mark stand out pretty good.

yaquindn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Floyd co./Southern Indiana
    Министерство обороны Российской Федерации = MO= ministry of defense

what you have is a very nice M44 and worth around 250 to 275 dollars.
    I just found one myself......think i'll hold on to it. the price will only go up more.

Top Bottom