• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Jaybird, what do you plan to do with this retirement gift? The intended purpose could be a deciding factor. The average .38 special 130 gr fmj rounds you find in gun shops are typically much lower powered (velocity X bullet weight) than the average 115 gr 9mm fmjs. This has been my recent experience.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    If you want to blunt an action to give you the opportunity to achieve your mission...

Isn't maximum penetration a most desired trait?

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I am going to buy myself a retirement gift of a handgun. I want either a .38sp, or a 9mm. Which has more power? The 38sp rounds are bigger than the 9mm, but I have been told that 9mm is actually more powerful. What do you think?
    They're so negligible it’s not funny. Just get both.

EDIT: Wow, wish I’d checked the date on this one :ugh:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Which has more power? yes.

No really, the problem is that while 9mm has a narrow window of function (enough oomph to make a semi-auto function, not so much it blows up) the .38 has a HUGE range of possible loads. Some .38s are just as powerful as 9mm or even more so. Especially if you get into .38+p. On the other hand a lot of .38 target or plinking loads are going to be much softer than 9mm. unless you get a manufacturer that wants to make a hot one. or mouse farts.

If you want capability to stop a bad guy, I'd go with a 9mm. Assuming ballistics for SD rounds are near enough with each other, you get more rounds with the 9. Every round is a chance to stop the bad guy. On the other hand, a semi-auto is very unlikely to get more than one round off from inside a pocket so if you want that capability, get a revolver = .38. So it's really more about how you want to carry than which has more stopping power.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I wouldn't worry about it. Decide whether you want a semi-auto or revolver and go for the one that looks and feels best to you.

Exactly...and when it comes to personal defense, there is no 'best' firearm, the main deciding factor should be 'comfortable-in-the-hand' and personal preference.
    I EDC a semi-auto when I'm out with the family...and sometimes a S&W 360J when I'm just by myself...it's a personal and comfort thing!

The 9mm does indeed have greater muzzle energy than the .38 special. Here's some fun (or not so fun if you aren't a nerd like me) reading for you:
    9mm vs 38 Special | Ballistics 101
    Either cartridge will get the job done assuming that you do your part. The article highlights some of the advantages of each round. In this case most of my decision would lie in
    whether I wanted a revolver or a semi-auto pistol. That part is up to you.

The 9mm may have greater muzzle velocity than a .38 special however, keep in mind that you can get a .38 Special in 158 grain (bullet weight) and that breaks the 150 grain barrier in which the round itself begins to generate it's own 'momentum' which aids in improved penetration...which is something the 9mm caliber does not produce.
    Also, a lighter bullet tends to accelerate faster due to it's lighter weight whereas a heavier grain bullet can take longer (aka, travel farther) to get up to velocity...but then generates greater energy disbursement via the 'momentum' factor! Between 9mm and .38 Special, for a single shot, I prefer the .38 special caliber.

Here is a thread regarding Concealed Carry of .38 Special from a year ago: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/473949-any-cc-38-special-anymore.html

Top Bottom