• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice looking rifle! Yeah, your bore should be good to go. I may have over looked but I didn't see anybody else mention it so I will. ALL surplus 7.62x54r ammo is corrosive. Not slightly, not a little, it IS. It is very easy to remove the corrosive salts after shooting, a couple of patches wet with water, soapy water or windex will do the job, then clean normally. The only thing is, it needs to be done ASAP after shooting, preferably with the barrel still warm. Be sure and give us a range report when you shoot it your first time.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I soaked my bolt and magazine in hot soapy water for a day or two. It cleaned it all up nicely. If you want to polish the bolt, emery cloth works well. You can use something to mark the receiver, so you can see where the bolt is riding, then just work off any excess material. If you can find it, blue in ink that mold makers use works great.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'll give you guys a range report for sure once I get ammo and time. I'll make a new thread for it. I knew about the corrosive ammo, but I read you could wait a few hours or so. Is Indiana too humid for that? Most likely I'll shoot her once my dad gets his 1934 Izzy hex out of layaway...he might buy ammo :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned steaming the mosin. I bought a $20 clothes steamer. Works like a charm. Disassemble the rifle, take the bolt apart and steam the heck out of it. Wipe with paper towels as you go. It will take less than an hour. Be careful on the wood, don't get it too close or you will melt the finish.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The heat gun took me about that long and I didn't have the payola to get a steamer so I used what was on hand.
    My cosmoline removal tools:
    Heat gun
    Lacquer thinner
    Shop rags
    Q-Tips
    PATIENCE

Not nessecerily in that order, and some tools are used more than once!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a lot of experience playing with cosmoline. The mold shop I used to work at had molds shiped in from China. They would be packed in that crap. Acetone works really real to cut through the crap. However, you better not get in on the stock.

Top Bottom