• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Just wonder with all of the mosinophiles on here how many of you guys have seen one of them. I have had several round receiver ex-snipers but lucked into a hex receivered one today at MC sports in Bloomington(thanks Eric) I have probaly handled 200 mosin looking for interesting ones but never seen one....have I been living in a box or are these few and far between??

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Plenty of hex mosins around, though not as many as round ones. Sure it's an ex sniper? Does it have the taps for the old sniper scope?

The ex snipers are rarer - I haven't heard of a hex ex sniper.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    tula hex ex-pe sniper

I can't imagine it being a fake. It was in with a bunch of run of the mill mosins at MC sports...kind of a luck of the draw type thing. When I removed it from the box I noticed the "C N" on the barrel above the tula star that sits above the 1936 date, but it didn't fully register until I got home and started cleaning it up. Thats when it hit me and then I noticed the hex receiver had a weld mark on one side...upon further inspection I could see where they welded the other side and the hex shape is not perfect like my other hex receivers. For $84.99 I am really happy...hell I would be happy at twice that price. Another mosinophile told me he thought 1936 was about the year tula switched to the round receivers if thats true it makes it even neater. When i figure out how to post pics I will put a pic up and you can judge for yourself. Thanks for the help .:yesway:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I can't imagine it being a fake. It was in with a bunch of run of the mill mosins at MC sports...kind of a luck of the draw type thing. When I removed it from the box I noticed the "C N" on the barrel above the tula star that sits above the 1936 date, but it didn't fully register until I got home and started cleaning it up. Thats when it hit me and then I noticed the hex receiver had a weld mark on one side...upon further inspection I could see where they welded the other side and the hex shape is not perfect like my other hex receivers. For $84.99 I am really happy...hell I would be happy at twice that price. Another mosinophile told me he thought 1936 was about the year tula switched to the round receivers if thats true it makes it even neater. When i figure out how to post pics I will put a pic up and you can judge for yourself. Thanks for the help .:yesway:

That is a ex-PE sniper you have, It was the only Mosin Nagant sniper that was based on a hex reciever. 1936 was the last year for hex reciever production @ Tula, mid year they switched over to the round reciever like Izhevsk did in 1935. PE snipers where made useing both hex and round recievers.

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    thanks Miller Tyme

Thanks for the info. Here is a pic..Maybe
    hexexsnipermosin004.jpg

hexexsnipermosin001.jpg

worksalot445

worksalot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    sorry John...think I better keep this one. I may not be a high dollar mosin but It has quickly become one of my favorites in my collection

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have done a bit of research after purchasing two mosins, you can learn a great deal about them online, they have so many different yet significant markings. The question I have for the more experienced mosin collectors is this....right now they are surplus, but how long before they are no longer surplus and eventually dry up and the the price climbs?

Top Bottom