• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    So I traded off my Mossberg 500 for a 930 and coughed up some cash on my end. Turns out to have been a mistake on my part because the guy who I traded/bought it off of claims it ran fine, so today I took it to the range to try and run a nice mix of shells through it to see how it reacted. After the first shot I realized it wasn't extracting the shells fired. I kept running different shells to see if it was the ammo or the gun. Every shot was a FTE. After giving up trying to run it, I took it home and stripped it down. Turns out the Gas Assembly Piston was missing, even though the previous owner claims he ran 200 + rds through it seamlessly. Now I am stuck in the predicament of trying to get a new Gas Piston Assembly and get ahold of the previous owner to see why this was never mentioned and maybe try to get my cash back from the trade. Is that wrong of me or am I in the right for pursuing it that way since it was stated the gun worked and ran fine?

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    He either cleaned it before he sold to you and somehow had extra parts when he finished, or he just lied to you. I don't think it would be wrong of you to contact him and try to make things right. I would call and get something figured out. He could at the very least buy the part that is missing so that you actually have a functioning shotgun. Hopefully he is reasonable guy and didn't maliciously make the deal. If he did then karma will come find him. Good luck.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'd do the same thing you are doing, nothing wrong with trying to get the product that was advertised to you. This is as far as I can tell the only real problem with private sales. The vast majority of people you deal with will be honest and everything will go well, but when there is somebody out there that intentionally gives you a bad gun, there isn't really much you can do about it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Definitely can't hurt to ask. I love my 930. That thing is a Blast to shoot. My 12 year old has a hard time giving it back when we are shooting it. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned more than a few 930's and own 2 currently.

My son managed to break the gas seal on one when he put it together wrong after cleaning it.
    Mossburg was very easy to deal with getting the parts I needed to repair it.

As to your deal......."Anyone" that would even consider selling a faulty firearm is a POS. "Anyone"
    If it does not run fix it. If it can not be fixed junk it.
    Lowest form of Liar.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    Even though I had to cycle the bolt each time I loved shooting it! Blast of a gun to shoot, recoil was low, and easy to handle. I emailed the person so hopefully he has it and just didn't put it back in when cleaning is the case, but if not I've already emailed Mossberg and will give them a call today about ordering an assembly. Couldn't locate any with a google search or on eBay.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even though I had to cycle the bolt each time I loved shooting it! Blast of a gun to shoot, recoil was low, and easy to handle. I emailed the person so hopefully he has it and just didn't put it back in when cleaning is the case, but if not I've already emailed Mossberg and will give them a call today about ordering an assembly. Couldn't locate any with a google search or on eBay.

I had to go through Mossburg for my parts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Give Mossberg a chance to respond before you go buying parts. I would not be surprised if its an inexpensive part if they simply ship one to you or have you send it to them for a free repair. Im not sure if its out of fear of liability lawsuits, or just plain good customer service, but the big boys in the industry tend to really take care of customers with mechanical issues.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I owned a gun shop for years and dealt with Mossberg a few times, they were always great to work with. Give them a call I bet you are pleased with them, and the 930.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a Gen 1 930 SPX. It came with the standard flat charging bar. I emailed Mossberg asking about buying parts to get it up to current spec (new charging knob) and they offered to send the knob free of charge. It saved me the $25-30 I was about to drop on an aftermarket knob.

Give Mossberg a chance, I bet they come through.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I made a similar mistake recently, and traded my trusty 870 HD for a 930 that the owner assured me had "never malfunctioned." Of course, it FTE about 1 in 5 rounds. Fortunately, mine wasn't missing any parts, but appears to just need thoroughly broken in. It's getting better, and I've used some very light steel wool in the chamber to speed the process.

As everyone has stated, Mossberg does have a reputation for great service, and hopefully when you get all the parts, yours will run smooth. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to contact the guy that sold it to you.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    After trying to get ahold of the seller multiple times and no answer, I got ahold of Mossberg. Got one on order for a little of 40 bucks, didn't care about the price for the piston I just want a fully functioning gun.

Top Bottom