• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have read rave reviews of these molds made in Slovenia for years. I have handled a couple of them that buddies owned but have never made the jump. I was looking at his site a couple weeks ago and saw some interesting ones that were out of stock and decided to put my email in the ‘notification’ box. Well, Sunday morning I had an email saying this mold was in stock.

I thought about it off an on during the course of the day and that afternoon, decided what the heck, I made some OT last week, might as well give it a shot. It ended up being about $150 delivered, which isn’t cheap, but go look at Lyman or RCBS molds on eBay or heaven forbid, new, and it seems like a bargain to get a quality, four cavity mold that has multiple hollow point options available in one mold. Placed my order Sunday afternoon and woke up to a shipping notification Monday morning. I had heard that shipping was amazingly fast from Miha as well. Received a text that my box was out for delivery yesterday, Wednesday! It was waiting for me when I got home from work. I only had about an hour to play before I had other stuff to do, so I plugged in my 20# pot full of 20:1 that I cast the majority of my bullets out of and started assembling the mold.
    for those unfamiliar with their hollow point molds, they use the Cramer style HP pin, which is captured between the two blocks. It is attached to one side (of your choosing) by two small rods. Miha includes four different styles of nose pins for each mold. You have a flat faced one for standard flat point bullets. There is a ‘cup point’ which is basically a half round that is nearly the diameter of the meplat, a small hollow point pin, basically similar in size to the various Ideal and Lyman HP molds I have, and finally the large, or ‘penta’ point that is a I’ve sized spike that gives a larger HP with sharp edges to enhance expansion.
    6135CAB0-DA0E-4978-8978-E994528026C1.jpeg

Just to experience all four styles and try to get some weights and have a look at each one, I set the mold up with one of each pin. I normally set a mold on top of the pot and give it a half hour or so to warm up, but I was busy assembling this mold while the pot was heated up, so it took quite a few casts to start getting decent bullets. This is my first brass mold. I have quite a few one and two and up to 4 cavity cast iron/steel molds and several aluminum molds quality ranging from cheaper Lee’s up to semi custom Arsenal molds. The brass definitely takes longer to heat up and is obviously heavier. We’ll see how that plays out in a longer casting session.

Anyways, I got a few decent, not perfect, bullets and I like them a lot! All four cavities dropped right at .4545” so it should work well in a variety of .45’s I have. Weights ranged from 262 to 280 depending on what pin was installed. I have a buddy who has done some testing with the Penta hollow point and has had very good i will probably cast up a pile of them and some solids to try out ASAP. The bullet design itself is very similar to my favorite bullet, Kieth’s classic 454424, of which I have several variants of, but it has more of an LBT style nose with a big meplat and no SWC shoulder. I will follow up with shooting results as I am able to get them cast, loaded and tested.
    D5D4D047-7F49-448B-B170-2AF2A14CA35F.jpeg 8D5904FF-D9AC-41D5-8D84-1883162621B4.jpeg

Appoligies for the upside down pictures. I took them with my phone and posted this on my iPad and have not the technological skill or knowledge to flip them upright…

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Another great mold maker to look at is Arsenal. He makes amazing quality molds. I have two on hand and another on the way (soon, hopefully!)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have read rave reviews of these molds made in Slovenia for years. I have handled a couple of them that buddies owned but have never made the jump. I was looking at his site a couple weeks ago and saw some interesting ones that were out of stock and decided to put my email in the ‘notification’ box. Well, Sunday morning I had an email saying this mold was in stock.

I thought about it off an on during the course of the day and that afternoon, decided what the heck, I made some OT last week, might as well give it a shot. It ended up being about $150 delivered, which isn’t cheap, but go look at Lyman or RCBS molds on eBay or heaven forbid, new, and it seems like a bargain to get a quality, four cavity mold that has multiple hollow point options available in one mold. Placed my order Sunday afternoon and woke up to a shipping notification Monday morning. I had heard that shipping was amazingly fast from Miha as well. Received a text that my box was out for delivery yesterday, Wednesday! It was waiting for me when I got home from work. I only had about an hour to play before I had other stuff to do, so I plugged in my 20# pot full of 20:1 that I cast the majority of my bullets out of and started assembling the mold.
    for those unfamiliar with their hollow point molds, they use the Cramer style HP pin, which is captured between the two blocks. It is attached to one side (of your choosing) by two small rods. Miha includes four different styles of nose pins for each mold. You have a flat faced one for standard flat point bullets. There is a ‘cup point’ which is basically a half round that is nearly the diameter of the meplat, a small hollow point pin, basically similar in size to the various Ideal and Lyman HP molds I have, and finally the large, or ‘penta’ point that is a I’ve sized spike that gives a larger HP with sharp edges to enhance expansion.
    View attachment 329785

Just to experience all four styles and try to get some weights and have a look at each one, I set the mold up with one of each pin. I normally set a mold on top of the pot and give it a half hour or so to warm up, but I was busy assembling this mold while the pot was heated up, so it took quite a few casts to start getting decent bullets. This is my first brass mold. I have quite a few one and two and up to 4 cavity cast iron/steel molds and several aluminum molds quality ranging from cheaper Lee’s up to semi custom Arsenal molds. The brass definitely takes longer to heat up and is obviously heavier. We’ll see how that plays out in a longer casting session.

Anyways, I got a few decent, not perfect, bullets and I like them a lot! All four cavities dropped right at .4545” so it should work well in a variety of .45’s I have. Weights ranged from 262 to 280 depending on what pin was installed. I have a buddy who has done some testing with the Penta hollow point and has had very good i will probably cast up a pile of them and some solids to try out ASAP. The bullet design itself is very similar to my favorite bullet, Kieth’s classic 454424, of which I have several variants of, but it has more of an LBT style nose with a big meplat and no SWC shoulder. I will follow up with shooting results as I am able to get them cast, loaded and tested.
    View attachment 329786 View attachment 329787

Appoligies for the upside down pictures. I took them with my phone and posted this on my iPad and have not the technological skill or knowledge to flip them upright…
    Here you go.

8D5904FF-D9AC-41D5-8D84-1883162621B4.jpeg
    D5D4D047-7F49-448B-B170-2AF2A14CA35F.jpeg
    The wider/deeper the cavity the better I think. More if a chance to expand.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have that mold also. I haven't got to shoot any of them yet. Looking forward to your results.
    Ha! You did the same goofy thing I did, casting all four styles at once! Good way to get a sample of all of them.

Unfortunately I got stuck at work an extra three hours last night and now I have to work 12 tomorrow so that kills my testing for a week…

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The wider/deeper the cavity the better I think. More if a chance to expand.
    Well, yes; generally. It also allows more variance in velocities and alloys you can use. Cast with 20:1 and loaded to 8-900 cos in a revolver should still give decent expansion with the penta especially. Loaded in my 94 Marlin to 12-1400 fps would require a harder alloy and probably a smaller cavity. I’m curious if you ran the cup point fairly soft and fairly fast, if the smaller cup point would open up any bigger than the base diameter. Even if it did a peeled away, you’d still have more than 200 gr pushing its way in through.

Looks like I better start saving milk jugs!

Top Bottom