• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a 1946 Russian 7.62x54R rifle a few days ago. I know very little about this type of rifle. From my little knowledge, it looks to be in great shape, it is very clean, and all the numbers match.

Are these collectible guns?
    Any ideas on the value?
    Are there aftermarket add ons available? Like synthetic stocks, scope mounts, muzzle brakes or should I just leave it original?
    How hot of load can be fired safely?
    Is performance ammo available or reccommended?

Any advice would be appreciated.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    They make great gifts to your family members who need an introduction into guns.

I've purchased several for family members, just to see the spouse have a cow.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a 1946 Russian 7.62x54R rifle a few days ago. I know very little about this type of rifle. From my little knowledge, it looks to be in great shape, it is very clean, and all the numbers match.

Are these collectible guns?
    Any ideas on the value?
    Are there aftermarket add ons available? Like synthetic stocks, scope mounts, muzzle brakes or should I just leave it original?
    How hot of load can be fired safely?
    Is performance ammo available or reccommended?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Seriously?
    OK, go to the Long Gun section and search the forum for Mosin.
    Also www.surplusrifle.com is a good site, but it seems to be down right now.
    Mosins aren't really considered very collectable right now, but who knows? Surplus 1911's used to sell for $35.
    Value is what you can get for it, usually ~$100-$200.
    You can get stocks,etc for them.
    The standard load is about equal to a 30.06 and most people find that to be stout enough. Much of the surplus ammo has a steel case and a steel core. The core is for armor and ringer target piecing.
    Surplus ammo is so cheap, I don't know of anyone making "performance" ammo. If you want to reload, slug your bore. You'll probably need .311 bullets.

Good Luck!

Doug

Last edited:

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    They are fun and some what collectable if you get into some of the finnish or odd models that were produced. The straight long rifles aren't worth more than 100$ but once you get into the finnish models and the russian carbines thats when the price jumps. Plenty of aftermarket stuff available, but get another to keep original. You can buy new production ammo from winchester I've seen but it's VERY expensive.

Top Bottom