• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I decided that I wanted a power case trimmer, after seeing how most where more spendy then I was, I took a good hard at these power trimmers and decided I could build one......ok now where to start.....well a look around my machine shop, I saw the Bridgeport, and my counter bore set, and I got it....

Step one, place a .040 thick cardboard shim between the jaws on an old vise, grab a .375 end mill (cause that is rim size on a .223 Remington) center up between the jaws, and mill down .060, leaving a coounter bore to set and hold the sell in

Ok, now grab a counter bore, install a .210 dia. pilot, and turn the machine on....

Worked very well, and after just a few mins of work , I did a lots of shells.....and holds my over all leanth to plus or minus .001....success!

What do you all think?

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    It only took you a little time and used what you had laying around to get your desired outcome. Looks like a success to me.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    That's an odd-looking Bridgeport. I see it has the horizontal milling drive. The table makes me think of a Tree mill. I also noticed the collet holder like Gorton mill collets. Does the mill have an R8 spindle or does it have B&S spindle with a drawbar. I used to make a lot of soft jaws for Anglock vises and it's a neat way of doing things. You still have room on those jaws for other case head sizes. Thanks for sharing.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    That's an odd-looking Bridgeport. I see it has the horizontal milling drive. The table makes me think of a Tree mill. I also noticed the collet holder like Gorton mill collets. Does the mill have an R8 spindle or does it have B&S spindle with a drawbar. I used to make a lot of soft jaws for Anglock vises and it's a neat way of doing things. You still have room on those jaws for other case head sizes. Thanks for sharing.

The base of the mill is a horizontal B&S #1 with a Bridgeport M head hung on the over arm suport, the 2 machine "halfs came from the salvage yard.....the head is a 1936 first year M head production.....spindle is a Morse taper, with an ER callet adaptor, with drawbar.....

I need to send a 1/2 will out to the tool grinder to be reduced to .461 for doing 22-250.....

By the way, the vise has shaper cutter marks for a finish, the vise has to be 1890's ? The B&S mill base is 1899.....

Aaron

Top Bottom