• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone have any experience at how accurate the rear sight meter markings are? I haven't tried it out yet, just looking for an idea.

I couldn't wait any longer to get one. I was too afraid stock would dry up and I wouldn't get to pick a good one. I found a beauty at K&T Guns in New Haven. Keith let me choose from all 6 he had.

Its a 1942 Izhevsk. The stock is in beautiful shape, rich and dark and free from any significant scratches. She's got a bright bore, great rifling and all numbers match except bayonet. Came with all the typical extras plus a couple little bonuses; an extra leather case for what I do not know. I took it apart this weekend and removed all the cosmoline using mineral spirits and got the bayonet to fit by opening up the receiving end a little using a dremel. I'm not going to sporterize it, I like it just the way it is.

Just received 880 rds of surplus in a russian wooden crate, so taking it to the range this weekend to see how she shoots.

2cwvndk.jpg

29movm9.jpg

vsp0xu.jpg

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    The rear sight on mine seems to be accurate. I am only shooting @ 100 yds. Out past that, I have no idea. I do recommend getting a recoil pad if you plan on shooting a lot. I got one @ Walmart for $20 it just slides right on. The size was small I believe. Have fun!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice! Your rear site should be fairly close with light ball ammo. More than likely your front site will be short making your rifle shoot a little high. That's the way the Soviets zeroed them, to aim at the belt buckle and hit in the lower chest/upper abdomen.
    Just remember to clean for corrosive primers afterwards as ALL surplus 7.62x54r should be treated as such.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    With the rear sight its way way off out at distances, at the same time you get different ranges with different ammo.
    *First things first I shot at 100 yards and used a brass hammer and brass punch to adjust the front sight to zero the rifle left and right.

*Next took mine to the range with a buddy and a spotting scope. I shot at 550 yard steel and my friend walked me in to the target.

*After that I did a little gunsmithing and did the same thing for at 750.

With Winchester 180 grain and a spotter I have hitting a 14 inch steel target at 750 yards. Its not a every time deal but its consistent enough that I am willing to brag about it.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Too bad you do not live closer and could do this for others.

Its all stuff you can research on YouTube. Just watch out for the spartan765 kid.. I swear after watching his videos hes a poster child for some kind of brain defect:n00b:.. :dunno: I think one video he was wearing a Russian Boyscout uniform...:scratch:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    :rockwoot:I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Mosin.:rockwoot:

I have 2 Izzys. the 1944 I will mod, the 36, maybe refinish the stock.

The buttpad is a must for long days.:yesway:

Top Bottom