My "on an extreme budget" SHTF home arsenal.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Congrats on the arsenal! For the budget you had on hand, I think you've made out pretty good.

I've never owned a hi-point, but if she's running that well for you, it sounds like you've got a good one.

Mosins are a fantastic weapon for when it goes down. Apart from their rock solid performance, if you run out of ammo you can put the bayonet in action and keep perps at bay a county away:D

The Mossberg lays out some serious business for close quarter work and as all shotguns is an incredibly versatile tool.

Thankfully, 10/22s aren't terrible expensive and you can catch base models on sale regularly.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Absolutely buy the .22 . then sell the mosin and buy ammo for everything else.
    I've had 2. They are hard to load in a hurry, kick like a mule and weigh a ton. They are prima facia evidence that the Tsar hated peasants. Learn to shoot and save your money for something lighter, faster, and with less recoil... like the sks,ak ,ar or mini14.
    Most of us have bought guns we weren't ready for, untill you can hit a 1 '' circle
    at 30yrds consistently you don't need a rifle that shoots 800yrds.
    Just my opinion...

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    I have only taken the hi point out once so far. I took a buddy with me who primarily is into h&k and just recently bought an m&p and his comments were "its big heavy and ugly but it works." and considering the need to stockpile food for six kids i figured if it shoots when i pull the trigger then mission accomplished.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Let me just say, my opinions are just that, if you're comfortable with whatever you shoot, more power to you.

Having a plan is more important then what tools you choose. Knowing how to use the tools you choose is probably next most important.

hem_ker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Plymouth
    Once you've done all the above, you'll realize how much you really don't know. Then, you'll be a full fledged prepper and continue to learn from there.

Seems like so many people (1) get overwhelmed when trying to prep or (2) overestimate their level of preparation and stop short. I know I've fallen into both categories at different points. Thanks for the words of wisdom guys and the encouragement that even though there's tons to learn the important thing is staying a learner!

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    Went to the range again today, so far i have shot about 300 rounds thru my hi point .40 with four different brands of ammo and have yet to have a ftf or fte of any kind. Very happy with the gun.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I'm going to agree with the majority of the good folks on this. Get what you can and get good with it. I have a Marlin 30-30 that I bought for $200 at Walmart about two or so years ago on closeout right before they quit carrying firearms. It is my SHTF rifle. Ammo is pricey but I feel very confidant with it and have practiced topping off the rounds without removing it from my shoulder. Also got a .40 cal XD I carry everyday and a couple of other handguns. I'm planning on getting a pump shotgun, Dunham's has pretty good sales on them now and then and also .22 rifles, BTW. You might check them out. But don't get discouraged or ever feel undergunned. Get good with them, add something else if you can afford it later and, above all, don't scrimp on food and water to buy a ton of ammo. No point in protecting an empty wagon, so to speak.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Looks great to me. For SHTF, a handgun is for emergencies only. Why do guys in the movies always grab a handgun from the armory. If SHTF, I am grabbing the carbine or shotgun. A handgun is great in emergencies, but if I am protecting myself or my family, hand me a carbine or shotgun anyday. Also, a Hi-Point is perfectly carryable in SHTF situation. Why would you be concealing then anyway.

I think you have it right. I would just have gotten the .22 so I could have lots of ammo first.
    You know what they say, you need a good pistol to protect you while you get your REAL gun! (carbine):ar15:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I think you have made wise and informed choices and have done an excellent job of covering your bases on a TIGHT budget. Now focus on food storage, practice, and knowledge. Oh, I really think you should move forward on the 10/22 and plenty of cheap .22 ammo. The bulk packs are steadily increasing in price already.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Good choices to begin with. You can now pick up on extras that fill out the survival requirements. Other posts said food, water, lighting, shelter. All good points. Kabar knife, multi tool, mini mag lite, small basic first aid, fire starter, canteen w/ cup. Decent pack add on not to exceed common sense weight carrying issues. Maybe a training class in CPR/first aid? Have fun, get ready now! Soon is camping season.

Top Bottom