• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    For years, my main hobbies have been hunting and shooting. Oh yea, I fish too, but not near as much as I shoot.... specifically, rfiles. As I grew older, I re-discovered the pleasures of shooting rimfire .22's....

My late Dad had gone thru open-heart surgery, in 1986.... and that was pretty much the end of his 40+ year fanatic love affair with squirrel hunting; deer hunting and traveling the world fishing in places like Florida, and British Columbia (Canada). Not being one to "sit in his recliner and die".... he took up the new sport of BR-50, which was a world-class rimfire benchrest shooting competition. That was in 1990. But that's another story.

When I lived in Columbia, Missouri... Dad used to come down from northern Illinois (where he lived and taught school at the time).... and we would go squirrel hunting together. After his surgery (which he never really fully recovered from)..... he would still come down and visit, often bringing me some Eley rimfire ammo, or a new scope. That was around 1986 to 1989. During that same period, my ex-wife (with whom I had two young sons).... up and decided she was in love with someone else; told me so, and within 2 days.... had moved all her stuff out of our farmhouse. On her last 'trip' to get linens, etc..... she suddenly tells me that she is leaving the boys with me. I was in shock.... but I knew she had, for whatever reason, "gone off the deep end" emotionally... so I was glad the boys would remain with me, and in their known home.

Well, having full-time custody of the boys was a blessing, really.... tho hard sometimes. I had to take a second part-time job... in order to afford the day care for the 'day job'. A very kind, older lady from our church, watched the boys for me on the afternoons and evenings I had to work the second job. She did it for free, to help me 'get ahead'. And on the week-ends, my sons needed time with 'Dad' and needed my love and attention. As a side note.... those two little guys (ages 2-1/2 and 10 months, at the time)..... taught me more about unconditional love... than I ever imagined I could know. Still, my hunting and fishing hobbies, were basically put on the back burner, as they say.... cause my boys needed my time, and quite frankly.... I was too dang tired most days.

On one of his visits, my Dad and I were discussing how much he missed getting out on the lakes, and out in the woods. I told him how I "couldn't afford" to go much at all, either.... with the boys there (alone), tho I did take them fishing and swimming when I could. My Dad, out of the blue, says "Why don't you sit here, and write!?" He reminded me, how years earlier at age eleven or so... I had written an award-winning essay about Martin Luther King. Funny, I'd forgotten all about that. He told me he always thought I was good at it, and pointed out that, it was something I could do...... right here from my couch or at the kitchen table, after I put the boys to bed.

A couple of weeks later, I was going thru some stuff in one of our BR closets, and found three or four loose-leaf spiral notebooks. It reminded me about what Dad had said.... and so, I took one of them (and a beer) and went to the table, to 'write'. Well, I sat there a long time and after nearly two hours (and two more beers)... I realized, I didn't know what to write about. So I just got undress, and went to bed.

(Continued below)....... a sample of my 'work' in post #5

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Write what is in your heart, what you know, sounds like those boys could inspire you ,go with the unconditional love thing....run with it! Good luck, and God bless you. Well?.....:popcorn:

Last edited:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    The next day was a Sunday, and I wasn't honestly feeling like taking the boys to church. I called the lady who 'baby-sat' for me.. and asked if she would consider stopping by, and taking them with her and her granddaughter. She was delighted to do so. She was truly great with young children, and was a blessing to my sons and I. While the boys were at church, I sat in the living room with the TV on (but not really watching it)...... and kind of feeling sorry for myself, I guess. My marriage was over, as much as I had tried to salvage it. Still, I had "all this love to give", but was alone. As most of you know, there are two kinds of love (at least). There's the kind of love you feel for family and friends..... which I gave, and received in turn.... with my parents, siblings and my sons. Then there's the romantic kind of love. The real thing is more than physical attraction and all that... it's a "partnership" with someone else that you just can't seem to get enough time with.

This is where my 'writing' began. I just suddenly jumped up, grabbed a pen and that notebook, ....and began writing down my feelings. I started off, to write an 'essay' of sorts. Later that evening, it turned into poem form... like I was writing a "love song". The words just came to me, and I scribbled them down. Things, feelings, I would have previously never shared with most people I actually knew.

Within a couple of weeks, I had written six children's stories; over forty poems; a couple of songs (complete with music.. I owned a keyboard)....and I still had a lot to say (write). After I had 'refined' a couple of the better poems, I mailed copies to my Mom, along with a copy of one of the children's stories (that was about make-believe gnome-like characters, who helped children to see right from wrong, entitled "The Orcans and the Ids"). Mom was amazed, and called me a few days later. She suggested I should get the story and the poems published. I, was humbled. Most of the poems I had written, were 'mushy' love poems. But I thought, "What the heck!"

I bought a few magazines, and visited the local lbrary.. and discovered how to 'submit' your works of writing, to established editors of books and periodicals. As is normal, with any 'new' writer.... I got back quite a few 'rejection' letters.... with a note of thanks and encouragement from the various editors. I kept trying, and kept writing. By 1993, the year my dear Dad passed away, I had written and published over 90 poems, six or seven 'real' songs, ten children's stories... and even three articles (called shorts'), in women's magazines. It never paid a lot, but that wasn't why I was doing this, anyway. In the case of all my poems, and two of the early articles... I 'copyrighted' them, in my name.... and to this day, retain all rights and can re-sell them to other publishers, for print/re-publication if I so wish

In 1989, I moved back to Indiana... mostly to spend more time with my Dad, whose health was not improving. Before long, we were going to rimfire competitions together and shooting benchrest in about ten different states. My Dad ended up being the BR-50 World Champion in that sport....two years back-to-back, 1991 and 1992. In his honor, I wrote my first 'outdoors' article, which was entitled "The Meanest Game On The Continent".... and published in the April issue (1992?) of Precision Shooting magazine. It was about the difficulty and the excitement of shooting BR-50, from a 'newcomers' perspective.

To be continued....

Last edited:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    So, if you've read this far in my little thread..... I thank you, and since I've (likely) bored you to tears...... I now feel I 'owe' you something. So, here's a small sample of my 'work'. It's a poem about the seasons here in Indiana (the 'seas' and 'shores' part, referring to Lake Michigan). Tho not individually titled, each 'stanza' represents a season.... starting with Summer.

For some unexplainable reason, I like to write my songs and some of my poems.... where the very first line, is repeated as the very last line in the body of work.

(Continued in the post below....)

Last edited:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    As with all my poems, this is published and copyrighted in my name... so no worries for the 'mods' here at INGO. It was first published in the book, "Down Peaceful Paths" by Quill books, in 1990.

"Nature's Play" ...copyright, 1988 A. Lee McFarland

Where hyacinths breathe the morning dew,
    a waking sun comes breaking thru
    the lingering clouds from last night's storm
    that dew soon gone, the earth soon warm.
    Tall grasses bow to gentle breeze.
    grow green, tho dry- like autumn leaves,
    from hours bathed in summer sun-
    on heated days much like this one.
    And children play in backyard bliss
    they, gently tanned with sunshine's kiss-
    as birds seek shade, then bathe in dust;
    Soon, season's change will come, they trust-
    perpetuating annual flight,
    when summer haze gives way to winter's night...

And in the wake of season's change,
    ride autumn storms of deluge rains-
    whose tempest winds test every tree;
    applauded by a raging sea, that
    seems to slash with warrior waves
    at rocky shores that she engraves.
    Her sinister clouds devour sky,
    as lightning bolt intensify, the
    darkness there, in clouds that band
    to race the winds across the land.
    When 'demon' storms have passed away,
    and calm returns to nature's play;
    an icy damp remains below-
    to soon be lost in falling, virgin snow...

The patch of green that was the lawn,
    lies frozen crisp now, every dawn;
    when frosted leaves sit petrified-
    around the trees they'd occupied.
    The trees stand galvanized with ice,
    ...in temporary sacrifice;
    Blue skies turn grey, and chill winds blow-
    to usher in the coming snow.
    The heavy clouds make land look small,
    as dancing flakes begin to fall...
    and tiny landmarks disappear
    beneath the still, white atmosphere;
    till drifted monuments of white-
    stand frozen guards, saluting winter's night...

But ever-changing nature's play,
    doth soon see longer, warmer days;
    when sunlight melts the winter snow-
    and wakes the frozen creeks; to flow
    past open fields, where poppies rise
    to wave their blooms at bluer skies.
    The air and earth and water warm,
    while in the creek the mosses form;
    and tiny tadpoles dare explore-
    along the bank of Spring Creek's shore.
    And out beyond the rushing pools,
    a bluejay sits, and ridicules
    the robins that return to view-
    where hyacinths breathe the morning dew.

Thanks INGO!

Top Bottom