• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Went out on Tuesday. My son might weigh 110 lbs. He wanted to shoot the OLD 1924 Mauser. Shooting seated at 100yds...

Notice his feet are off the ground...
    be963446.jpg

A good camera would caught the roll back into me. HA! But he kept at it shooting all the ammo we had for it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It makes me sad to see a young person getting beat up by a rifle. Can you please teach him a proper riflemans seated position? Shooting a highpower rifle does not have to hurt or throw a person around. I hope he is not bruised.

The Appleseed program teaches position shooting. With respect sir, maybe no one has shown you how to shoot from position?

This might help too. There is a whole series of articles written by the Army Marksmanship Unit.

CMP - First Shot Online!

Last edited:

Salty Possum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    my friend's little boy had a similar experiance with his old man's Enfield :laugh:. 8MM Mauser is a good caliber and I found is actually "quieter" than let's say a 7.62x54R or a .308, but I digress, glad you guys had fun, and props to you for enjoying your 2nd Amendment with your son :)

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Thank you sir, no offense taken at all. In fact, i appreciate it. I assure you he was indeed sitting correctly(or as best as he could manage with direction). Again this picture is post fire and the photographer happened to catch as he rolled back and his feet came up. This was far from tragic for him. He's 18 and even recently enlisted in the Navy. He's been shooting for years. So, please, no sadness needed. We love to have fun with it, safely of course. This post was just as fun, having a giggle at his expense.

Thanks all.

It makes me sad to see a young person getting beat up by a rifle. Can you please teach him a proper riflemans seated position? Shooting a highpower rifle does not have to hurt or throw a person around. I hope he is not bruised.

The Appleseed program teaches position shooting. With respect sir, maybe no one has shown you how to shoot from position?

This might help too. There is a whole series of articles written by the Army Marksmanship Unit.

CMP - First Shot Online!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    That reminds me of my very first shot. :) We were visiting family in Ohio, I was 9 or 10 years old. My uncle had a .50 muzzleloader the he and my Dad were shooting. I wanted to get in on the fun, so my uncle explained every step in loading the muzzleloader, handed it to me, pointed out the board to aim at, and then cocked the hammer.

My Dad in the meantime had walked behind me, because when that muzzleloader went off the kick knocked me off balance and he was there to keep me upright. :D I guess that moment right there lit the gun loving fire in me. I remember the flash and the report and my Dad making sure I didn't fall down and thinking just how fun shooting was as the cloud of smoke cleared from around me.

We then moved on to shooting cans off of fence posts with a scoped .22 rifle.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Wow, sometimes you guys ask some critical questions.... HA! Short answer there are pistol steels behind camera in opposite direction and a bench table with all the firearms. I was clearing the handguns when he was having a little trouble with his seating and recoil. I walked part way, yelling instructions. He couldn't hear with his HP in, so I walked behind him.....there. Good enough? Sure, hindsight says SCREAM "cease fire," walk back to table, deposit handgun, walk back to him.... Either was the quick on-the-spot correction was effective. *shrugs*

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I wondered that as well. :popcorn:

Wow, sometimes you guys ask some critical questions.... HA! Short answer there are pistol steels behind camera in opposite direction and a bench table with all the firearms. I was clearing the handguns when he was having a little trouble with his seating and recoil. I walked part way, yelling instructions. He couldn't hear with his HP in, so I walked behind him.....there. Good enough? Sure, hindsight says SCREAM "cease fire," walk back to table, deposit handgun, walk back to him.... Either was the quick on-the-spot correction was effective. *shrugs*

WHEW.....For a minute I thought it was "Tough Love":D

Top Bottom