• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RusticApple2433

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Shelbyville
    Hello I wanted to come on here and be able to fully explain what I want and how best to get there. So I have a Taurus G3c pistol with factory iron sights that I want to convert over to accept a mini red dot for self defense. How ever ive never messed with pistol sights and don’t know the way. Basically I Dont have a factory milled flat to accept a red dot so what I wanted to do was try one of the dovetail mounted plates. What I’m worried about is the accuracy and reliability of that style. I really Dont want to pay to have my slide milled so if this was going to happen for this Gun it’s probably going to be this. So my question is, is that a good idea? Am I wasting my time on it or will it just not maintain its accuracy and how much height am I going to sacrifice from this style of mount? And if this can be usable then what brand of dovetail adapter should I go with? I would imagine that would matter with this. And just to get people’s opinions on this too. The sight I’ve been looking at is the sig sauer Romezer. Looked like a good size for me and price was right too. have people had bad luck with them? Is there something better under $150? any info is appreciated!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Is there something better under $150? any info is appreciated!

So is this going to be a range toy or are you wanting to carry it? Honestly I would say sell it and just upgrade to a Toro model myself, assuming you want to stay with Tarus

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hello I wanted to come on here and be able to fully explain what I want and how best to get there. So I have a Taurus G3c pistol with factory iron sights that I want to convert over to accept a mini red dot for self defense. How ever ive never messed with pistol sights and don’t know the way. Basically I Dont have a factory milled flat to accept a red dot so what I wanted to do was try one of the dovetail mounted plates. What I’m worried about is the accuracy and reliability of that style. I really Dont want to pay to have my slide milled so if this was going to happen for this Gun it’s probably going to be this. So my question is, is that a good idea? Am I wasting my time on it or will it just not maintain its accuracy and how much height am I going to sacrifice from this style of mount? And if this can be usable then what brand of dovetail adapter should I go with? I would imagine that would matter with this. And just to get people’s opinions on this too. The sight I’ve been looking at is the sig sauer Romezer. Looked like a good size for me and price was right too. have people had bad luck with them? Is there something better under $150? any info is appreciated!

$150 easy as that.
    You can get them cheaper when on sale. Guess what it's on sale and free shipping with code.

CODE: DAD15 Save 15% Off & Free Shipping On All Orders Over $49.99

With code after taxes it's around $136 shipped to your door.

Or as Dean C said buy a Toro
    $322 free shipping no sales tax just a transfer fee at your favorite FFL.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Dovetail adapters are frowned upon generally because they (the dovetail cut) are mechanically not meant for that load. There's no guarantee of what will happen when you overload things. Some people have had them work find for long periods, some just a few shots. I got my TX22 with a dovetail adapter before upgrading to a competition kit upper.

You won't lose any accuracy until/unless it fails.
    You will add some height over bore which is not the end of the world.
    You will lose the possibility to cowitness irons.

They're all issues but the reliability issue is the only one that's really critical in my mind. I would HIGHLY encourage going with the toro slide kit linked above.

The Romeo zero... I have two and they're on the list of things to sell. Batteries don't last anywhere near as long as advertised (read a number of similar comments online) which means removing it to change them which means re-zeroing. The other issue is they used a plastic lens to save weight and money. That plastic lens is REALLY easy to scratch. I scratched one of mine with a q-tip and alcohol without even pressing on it, just brushing it with the fuzz, to try to clean the lint off. Unfortunately there really aren't a lot of alternatives in that price point.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I'd just buy the conversion kit above and have something ready made for optics , especially on a defensive pistol. I have used the one piece dovetail mounts on range guns (Springfield 1911 45 and Sig P220 45) and they work well but do place the optic higher than a optic ready milled slide. For range use not a big deal.

As to the Romeo Zero I'm with russc2542 , the plastic lens/body seems like something that should be sold for $79. The button location is not ideally located and no where near as easy to adjust brightness as something like a Holosun 407K. As mentioned sight must be removed for battery change , Holosun has easy to change side battery compartment. I had the Romeo Zero on a P365 and switched to the Holosun , far and away nicer sight - it is 6MOA vs 3MOA of the Zero but for a defensive pistol probably better anyway.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'd just buy the conversion kit above and have something ready made for optics , especially on a defensive pistol. I have used the one piece dovetail mounts on range guns (Springfield 1911 45 and Sig P220 45) and they work well but do place the optic higher than a optic ready milled slide. For range use not a big deal.

As to the Romeo Zero I'm with russc2542 , the plastic lens/body seems like something that should be sold for $79. The button location is not ideally located and no where near as easy to adjust brightness as something like a Holosun 407K. As mentioned sight must be removed for battery change , Holosun has easy to change side battery compartment. I had the Romeo Zero on a P365 and switched to the Holosun , far and away nicer sight - it is 6MOA vs 3MOA of the Zero but for a defensive pistol probably better anyway.

The 407K is 100% worth the extra $100~ in this instance IMHO, there is a reason SIG borderline gives them away on guns. At this point I would suggest upgrading the pistol entirely if OP is going to spend this much , looking like $400~ to get the gun optics ready and a compatible actually reliable red dot.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    The complete upper posted above would be best bet imo. The dovetail mounting plates have worked well on some firearms. If going that route I would probably go as cheap as possible with something like romeo zero to see if you even care for optics.

If you go that route and need sight pusher you can borrow mine. Noticed you’re in shelbyville as well. If you’re a fop range member you could even shoot some of the things I have with dots to see if you care for them at all before making the plunge and spending the money

Top Bottom