• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    No disrespect each of us is a geek in some way but I am in need of a Computer Geek.

First my computer skills aren't exceptional with the interworking of a computer, I know logic, like PLC's, robot programming, computer control, not the other computer stuff. My work computers are maintained by a Help Desk my employer employs to take care of all of my computer needs so my stuff is wellprotected, backed up and so forth.

The problem I have is my families computers.. I have need of support but can't pay Geek Squad prices.. I can however, trade, barter and work out an arrangment which is mutially benefical for both parties.. What I have issuew with are spyware and maleware infections of three laptops and three desk tops.

I "had" a comp geek but he has since moved on and we are short on in our group.. So what do you do to remove and protect against programs and such like "Vista Home Security" or other maleware and spyware programs? What do you recomend, I have googled for info but it looks like more scams to buy a product to remove these files but it could also compromise our systems.

Thank you in advance,

Humbly,

TJ

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Without knowing the exact malware infestation you are dealing with, I've had a lot of success with this procedure.

1. Get rkill.exe - you will use this to kill running malware processes

Bleeping Computer Downloads: RKill

2. Get malwarebytes software

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

3. Get those files onto your computer where you know where they are

4. Boot into safe mode

5. Run rkill.exe

6. Install, update and run malwarebytes.

7. Fix any malware that malwarebytes finds.

8. Reboot

9. Download Microsoft Security Essentials, install and update

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    malwarebytes.org works pretty good simple to use
    you will find some viruses and such block the running of that program though... makes things a little interesting :-/

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    First off....you need to empty ALL temp folders, those are the places that viruses and the like execute from, before you do this to each computer you need to disconnect it from the internet.

Then depending on what virus protection you have, do a full scan and get rid of what it will.

I use free avg....used it for years never a problem.
    I also use advanced system care which you can get a free version of that.

If you keep getting these problems then it must be sites that are visited frequently...at the end of each computer use, i always wipe out cookies and temp files that are stored in temp folders.

Thats a start, of course there is much more to be done...but that will get you started.

In vista there are options to turn off the security features.
    Though...vista is microsofts most resource hungry OS to date.

Sooooo many services running in the back ground its not even funny.

If you run a wireless network make sure it is secured!!

After you do this then you can go from there.

You may want to try the advanced system care, it may help clean your pc up as well.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Start cleaning w/ Malware Bytes and see where that lands you. Some stuff can be persistent but it can get you close.

Microsoft Security Essentials should keep you mostly clean in the future. Of course, having a cautious keyboard driver is very helpful as well ;)

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I've used avast on about 7 different computers for about 3 years now. I haven't had any infections using avast until recently. I got infected with Win 7 antivirus 2012 which Malwarebytes takes care of with ease.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    +1 on Malwarebytes and Avast

I use Malwarebytes, Avast (free), and I also clean my registry and temp files with AML on a regular basis. The biggest way to avoid rogue antivirus, such as Vista Home Security, is to learn the warning signs. If you're browsing the net and a screen pops up, saying you are infected, do your best to close your browser immediately.

A fellow teacher had XP Security Center 2012 and boy, that's a tough one.. The computer would not boot into safe mode, no programs showed up under the start menu, and I could not access ANY files.

At that point, I think the only thing to do is connect the drive to another PC, and scan for the infection.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well I drive pretty well, don't go too far onto the dark side of things, I use my company laptop which is controlled so I won't risk my income for a sneek peek of some bs..

As for the virus scan programs and other recomendations than you, My work used Trend, I have been using AGV on a few and Avast on others, I have ran all them after updating. I have cookies and temp files set to erase once a week, on my personal desktop it's ever time I close explorer.

I hadn't heard of the Microsoft Essential stuff, thanks for those recommendations..

As for the "vista" comment, the fake virus program was valled Vista Home Security virus software, my mom contracted it from opening a mass email from a known sender and clicked the link, oops, then she didn't bother calling me and then "paid" the fee the fake virus scan program asked for and then called me when it didn't do anything.. We pulled the panic chain on her finacials and shut everything down until we find out what was compromised..

I appreciate all of the advice, if I can repay the favor let me knwo how..

Hope your all well and thank you,

TJ

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    +1 on Malwarebytes and Avast

I use Malwarebytes, Avast (free), and I also clean my registry and temp files with AML on a regular basis. The biggest way to avoid rogue antivirus, such as Vista Home Security, is to learn the warning signs. If you're browsing the net and a screen pops up, saying you are infected, do your best to close your browser immediately.

A fellow teacher had XP Security Center 2012 and boy, that's a tough one.. The computer would not boot into safe mode, no programs showed up under the start menu, and I could not access ANY files.

At that point, I think the only thing to do is connect the drive to another PC, and scan for the infection.

I just worked on a computer that got infected and showed nothing on the c: or in the start menu....whatever the bugger was turned off "show files"...took me a while to realize that.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    They seem to be getting worse. I had one of these a few years ago, restarted, ran task manager, closed the program as it was loading, then removed the file and scanned.

The new one, however, will not boot into safe mode- it just keeps restarting itself. Then, after booting, the task manager is grayed out. It also shows absolutely nothing under the start menu.

They're fun to track when it's not your own computer.. Lol

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    They seem to be getting worse.

you can say that again.

Really, you ever wonder if the Anti-virus companies arent the ones throwing these out there so we buy their products to get them off our pc's?....

Do i sound like im one of those paranoid people...the gov'ments watching us....ROFL

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    In addition to malwarebytes, I have had success with webroot spyware killer also.When the infection is so bad you can't even open a browser-sometimes a cd installed software product is one of the few options left.
    AVG free is also my favorite for many years...never a problem.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    In addition to malwarebytes, I have had success with webroot spyware killer also.When the infection is so bad you can't even open a browser-sometimes a cd installed software product is one of the few options left.
    AVG free is also my favorite for many years...never a problem.
    AVG isn't bad. A buddy of mine uses them for problem computers, I have not had as much luck as him.

Top Bottom