• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I'm looking at getting a new tackle box. Actually I want a bag with a shoulder strap. Something in the medium to large size range. I mostly fish local ponds but do hit lakes on a boat sometimes. I plan to check out Gander. Unlike their gun department, their fishing department can be priced fairly well. So anyway, what do you use? Pictures would be very helpful but I understand not many have pics of their tackle boxes on their phones/computers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would concentrate on small specialized boxes. I like the kind that can be belt clipped for bank fishing or stowed appropriately in any sized boat.

I've thrown a lot of $ at fancy hard and soft tackle bags. Most of the time they are just an overkill, heavy weight, trip hazard. IMHO, buy a cheap duffel to stow your small boxes, wraps, etc. Worst case, you take the whole duffel. Normally, you'll just grab a box, bag or two specific to what you are fishing for. Maybe throw them and some other trip related things into your not fishing related gear-slinger or light pack. Fishing bags are either way expensive or junk. :twocents:

Smaller is better. Never be afraid to borrow your buddies tackle. It makes them feel better to use up some of the contents of that monstrosity of a huge multi-hundred $ bag or box they have brought for you to trip over. :)

20160904_234500_zpsi8s3yrjk.jpg

Last edited:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would concentrate on small specialized boxes. I like the kind that can be belt clipped for bank fishing or stowed appropriately in any sized boat.

I've thrown a lot of $ at fancy hard and soft tackle bags. Most of the time they are just an overkill, heavy weight, trip hazard. IMHO, buy a cheap duffel to stow your small boxes, wraps, etc. Worst case, you take the whole duffel. Normally, you'll just grab a box, bag or two specific to what you are fishing for. Maybe throw them and some other trip related things into your not fishing related gear-slinger or light pack. Fishing bags are either way expensive or junk. :twocents:

Smaller is better. Never be afraid to borrow your buddies tackle. It makes them feel better to use up some of the contents of that monstrosity of a huge multi-hundred $ bag or box they have brought for you to trip over. :)

20160904_234500_zpsi8s3yrjk.jpg
    I have scaled mine down...way down.I have my boxes per fish type.I am in need of a new box though.I see everything but "the red thing".Those plyers get by,but you have to have " the red thing".

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have also spent a bunch on different stuff.

I have settled on buying the four packs of Plano boxes from Cabelas. I put them in a white color Adidas backpack. The white doesn't get hot in the sun and doesn't look like it holds a lot of money in tackle.

Best setup ever and travels nice. Front has pliars,grippers,license,line snips. Next one in holds soft plastics, main compt holds the boxes.

Each box has different stuff, hook box, spinner box, crank bait box etc.

Have totes or another large guide box at home for all new storage or overflow. The big box will sometimes stay in truck if on a long trip just in case I need something or run out.

If scoping a new spot or short on time a small Plano speed bag and my ultralight is the ticket.

Backpack is great and leaves your hands free.

Check out Mystery Tackle Box! My wife got me a subscription for x-mas. Quality stuff.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Since you mentioned Gander, I have one of these: Gander Mountain Fishing Tackle Bag It is a big bag, and I did take the strap from a laptop bag to use on it instead of the OEM one as the OEM one cut into my shoulder when it was loaded down. Gander runs this bag at half this price from time to time. The smaller version ( Gander Mountain Tackle Bag ) might also be worth considering.

Also, Meijer actually has a version of the larger bag that I bought my son for about half the price of the MSRP of the Gander bag as well. The bag is identical except color and branding.

I carry mine all over the lake, on foot frequently.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    My Son has found that the Plano flat boxes from Wally fit very nicely into a LA Police Gear Bailout Bag and you still have the assorted external velcro pockets.

LAPG BoB $19.99
    Plano boxes $3-5 I think.

Its the 12 year old kid logic that makes it work.

FWIW...

Top Bottom