• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I just bought a new S&W 629 V-Comp .44 Magnum. I think I want to replace the rubber Hogue grips with some nice-looking wood grips. I don't really want to order the grips off the internet because sometimes they look good in the pictures and then not-so-good when they arrive. I'd rather buy in person at an actual shop so I can see the actual grips that I'm buying. I'm also looking for a good leather holster for the gun.
    Does anyone have any recommendations on an Indiana gun shop that has grips and holsters in stock for a gun like that? I travel a lot for work so anywhere in the state could work.
    Thanks

Edited to add: Should this be in the accessories section instead of here in the handgun section? I think I might have posted this in the wrong section. Sorry

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    it sounds odd , but ive always gotten great deal at the army/navy surplus store (one here in bloomington is Traildust) , he let me try them out and size them out and had tons and tons to choose from , not high end stuff of course but worked great for me none the less (holsters that is , grips i can't help you sorry)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That's probably a round butt. They make finger groove and target grips that keep the round butt profile, or make them flare at the back like a square butt (round butt to square butt called "conversion" type).

Due to exotic woods and pricing, most shops have that stuff as special order.

There was a guy at the last Kokomo gunshow with a decent array of factory and aftermarket grips. I think your best bet for see before purchase is a gunshow.

Used in good shape, finger groove factory grips with S&W emblem, expect to pay 60 bucks or more.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Thanks guys. I try to stop in at a lot of gun shops when I'm traveling but I don't see many revolver grips any more, especially nice wood grips. I don't mind paying the money for good-looking grips. I guess I'll probably take my chances on buying from the internet.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most shops don't stock custom grips. I know you don't want to internet shop, but that may be your best option. Get with a reputable grip maker, and most will stand by their product. There are quite a few good ones out there. I would say the same on the leather. :twocents:

Top Bottom