• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    So I recently purchased a G19 gen4 from a coworker.

He previously had some trigger work done on it by another coworker of ours (who is a certified Glock armorer and works at a gun shop) and also has a flat-faced aftermarket trigger.

dry fired it prior to buying it and it felt good. Lighter trigger pull than factory, nice short reset, really felt good.

fast forward later that day dry firing it and the trigger continually gets stuck back and won’t reset when my finger is riding the trigger to reset it.

if I take my finger off the trigger and cycle the slide it resets as normal.

when the trigger doesn’t reset, it does move forward sometimes, but the trigger safety bar doesn’t pop back forward like it should.

My google-fu has told me I need a stronger firing pin spring. So I went ahead and ordered a factory one.

so today, not being able to leave well enough alone I disassembled it and “stretched” the firing pin spring. NOT as a permanent solution, just to see if that remedies my reset issues to let me know that I was on the right track.

after doing that my trigger is heavier but I’m still having the same issue with trigger reset.

So, am I on the right track here with replacing the firing pin spring with factory strength?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    So I found a local shop with striker springs in stock.

if anyone finds themselves with a similar problem, that solved my problem. She’s humming right along now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a G23 that had an aftermarket trigger shoe contact the frame a bit and caused a similar issue. I took a file and relieved the area behind the trigger just a couple of thousands to correct the issue.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    The person who modified the trigger may have installed a reduced force striker spring to reduce the trigger pull weight. Did you notice the trigger pull being any heavier after the spring swap?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Aren't some of those aftermarket trigger packages a combo of trigger/bar assembly, minus connector, trigger spring and striker spring? Don't they often come with their own factory weight striker spring and lighter one designated for competition?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    The person who modified the trigger may have installed a reduced force striker spring to reduce the trigger pull weight. Did you notice the trigger pull being any heavier after the spring swap?

yes, it was definitely a very light trigger.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Changing the striker spring is never a good idea. Always lightens the trigger and also good for intermittent light strikes or trigger return problems. Issue could have also been caused by an aftermarket trigger spring. If you have any more issues and you're close to Greenwood I'll be happy to sort it out for you.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO

[/FONT]

Glock/M&P certified armorer[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach[/FONT]

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Changing the striker spring is never a good idea. Always lightens the trigger and also good for intermittent light strikes or trigger return problems. Issue could have also been caused by an aftermarket trigger spring. If you have any more issues and you're close to Greenwood I'll be happy to sort it out for you.

issue seems to have been sorted out. Appreciate the offer though.

Top Bottom