• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I am able to hit a dime out to 15y (no, not every time), but my aim gets worse after about the first five magazines. And, it seems to take way to long for me to align the sights when I try to raise the gun and shoot double taps on multiple targets. I'm practicing this at the range for IDPA, but right now it looks like I have a long way to go. Any advice in these areas, things I could practice? I dry fire for at least half an hour a day, and never have trouble acquiring targets rapidly when the gun is not loaded, but maybe because I'm usually sitting, and more stable then.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hold a dumbell weight that's a little heavier than a typical pistol out as if in your shooting stance. SLOWLY raise it to the shooting position, HOLD for 30 seconds, SLOWLY lower to resting position. Repeat until you can no longer do it. Repeat every other or every couple of days and you will quickly build up the muscles and stamina necessary.

Last edited:

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Exactly what kiddo said. If you want to practice rifles, just hold two handweights, one out where a support hand would be, one where your pistol grip would be. Take them to a low ready, then bring them up like you're holding a rifle on target. Hold for 30, drop and rest, hold for 30, etc.

I use a 5 pound small little rubber women's aerobic type weight for these drills, both pistol and rifle, since 5/10 pounds is a pretty good weight for both.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Cool, how about tips for quick acquisition?

One neat thing is a free yellow plastic m&p training barrel is included with the new holster I just ordered.
    Simply practice. What exactly do you mean when you say target acquisition? Are you struggling to get your sights back onto target between shots, trying to decrease time it takes to move sights from one target to the next, combination of the two, what???

Edit: Assuming by your OP I think you're more referring to getting the sights back onto target in between shots. For me, the "push/pull method" really helps to minimize the recoil and the sights seem to come back down in place a lot faster. Perhaps some of the ACT guys or other pistol comp guys can jump in here?!? I'm descent with a pistol, but I've not tried my hand in any sort of pistol comps yet, although it's on my "to do" list in the next couple years when I have more time, money, and less other training engagements.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    When bringing the gun up from low ready, and when moving horizontally/vertically from target to target, I have to delay more than three seconds to be accurate. Maybe this is such a complex question that a link to training concepts would be better than trying to squeeze advice into this thread.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    When bringing the gun up from low ready, and when moving horizontally/vertically from target to target, I have to delay more than three seconds to be accurate. Maybe this is such a complex question that a link to training concepts would be better than trying to squeeze advice into this thread.
    You can never learn too much. Read it, watch it, listen, test, experience, practice. I don't really follow competitions anymore and never really have pistols, but there are many comp guys here who can share all sorts of videos from well known competitors.

What "stance" are you using? If you're using isoceles and understand the "turret on a tank" concept the transition between targets and keeping sights on target won't be as challenging. It just takes practice. I can see where if you're trying to use a "weaver" stance/grip technique it can make it more challenging.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The mind does not know the difference between:

1. real and imaginary;
    2. slow and fast;
    3. good and bad.

"I want to be fast because I am tH3 d34dly!"

"Ummm, I've never seen a stopwatch in a fight and you ain't deadly. You just a numbnuts that needs to slow down and watch your front sight."

:D

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You can't really beat their prices that I know of in the area and their curriculum is largely centered around competition shooting.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/207704-competition_101_warsaw_in.html

I will second the endorsement of ACT. For your specific purpose, the course you should look in to is their IP 101 course. It is a 4 hour course that specifically covers the things you're looking to accomplish.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/199619-ip_101_warsaw.html

Slow down.

Kirk has hit the essence of it here. You can shoot only as fast as you can see. You need to slow down and smoothly work the fundamentals. That smooth will become fast and you wont even realize it. Trying to be fast is the key to being slow.

I would also like to add the following with regard to making faster shots:

Start with eyes focused on the target and driving the gun out in to your cone of vision (as in from draw stroke) and picking up the front sight as it moves in to your field of vision, guiding it up to your target. Work it slowly until you get the front sight landing in the same spot consistently. When transitioning from target to target, that practice indexing the pistol sight over your point of focus will bring the sight to point of aim more quickly. When actually transition from target to target you should work on a concept that Coach (forum member and ACT instructor) calls "Snapping the Eyes" (he probably stole it from somewhere, but that's where I heard it). You move your eyes to the next target and then drive the gun in to your cone of vision. (The more practiced you are at indexing the front sight in to your point of focus the quicker you will be.)

Do it slowly and become smooth. Don't worry about speed. Worry about smoothness and efficiency. Speed will be a natural byproduct of that effort.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Cool, how about tips for quick acquisition?

One neat thing is a free yellow plastic m&p training barrel is included with the new holster I just ordered.

I have a class that will teach you the things you are looking for. June 9th at Warsaw. A little bit of a drive but in four hours of class you will have the tools to go out and practice what you need to know. Send me an email and I will get you the registration forms.

Here is a link to some information:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/199619-ip_101_warsaw.html

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Jackson talked about the essential skills of shot calling and snapping the eyes in an earlier post. Here is an example of it in action. What is not visible are two targets that appear and disappear at about the same time. The first popper that falls activates the drop turning targets. If I come off the sights and look at the poppers falling to confirm hits I will never get them all down before the paper targets. Shot calling would be a good skill to have in any type of shooting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWOUKLyROA&feature=youtube_gdata[/ame]

Standby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Palm Beach Florida
    Move your eyes to the target, let the gun sights follow. The more you push for speed the more erratic you will get. Try resetting the trigger instead of slapping the trigger.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    +1000 for quality training

But on a side bar, i did some practicing before i went to my first uspsa match and i had horrible results while practicing but at the matches I actually impressed my self. You may be setting targets a bit tok far away for what you will find at these matches??

Either way, get training, go shoot some matches, get more training. Repeat.

Top Bottom