New M&P 9 Full-Size (12 Malfunctions in Less Than 50 Rounds)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Recently, I picked up a NIB M&P 9 (full size).

I took it out to the range a few days ago for the first time and within the first 50 rounds, I experienced 12 malfunctions: 7 light primer strikes and 5 FTFs.

I experienced at least one of each type of malfunction with all three brands of ammo I was using (factory RWS, Winchester WWB, and Blazer Brass FMJ). It malfunctioned with 124gr and 115gr ammo.

I experienced at least one of each type of malfunction with each of the S&W factory magazines.

Sent the gun back to S&W, courtesy of S&W. I didn't really feel like tinkering with it. They're going to check it out and hopefully do something about it. I'm thinking something is up with the following: striker channel, feed ramp (bur?), both magazines (potentially - the followers were kind of, how should I say this, awkward?).

When I get it back, it might be going up for sale.
    Loved the looks and ergonomics of the pistol. I'm a bit disappointed with my bad luck as I've been spoiled by no malfunctions with my other pistols. I know the M&P is a great platform but I think I just got a dud/lemon.

I did NOT clean the gun before shooting it. I did apply a light coating of Rem Oil on the slide rails, though.

Any similar experiences/malfunctions with new M&Ps? Merry Christmas. :patriot:

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Not mine. I got a new M&P9 yesterday, put 150 rounds through it today. All were flawless. Sorry to hear about your lemon, but i could see how that would ruin the platform for you. If that happend to me, I would probably get rid of it too. It didn't so I will be keeping mine. :D

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Not mine. I got a new M&P9 yesterday, put 150 rounds through it today. All were flawless. Sorry to hear about your lemon, but i could see how that would ruin the platform for you. If that happend to me, I would probably get rid of it too. It didn't so I will be keeping mine. :D

Wanna trade? :D Your experience seems to be the norm. Congrats on the pickup and I'm glad yours works man! Happy shooting. :ar15:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    An ongoing poll at the M&P forums shows that about 90% of M&P owners experience zero failures out of the box... I that you could be one of the few who just had a faulty pistol, but I'm sure that S&W will make it right for you. I would not judge the pistol by the initial problem, but by the quality of the solution by the manufacturer.

Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box?

• 100% reliable -no failures (646 votes [89.47%])
    • Some initial failures due to bad mags (5 votes [0.69%])
    • Some initial failures due to faulty workmanship (23 votes [3.19%])
    • Failures which could not be resolved (10 votes [1.39%])
    • Some initial failures due to tight fitting parts, etc. (28 votes [3.88%])
    • Failures which started occurring later, after the break-in period (10 votes [1.39%])

This is an open poll, so there are a number of votes by "Other Brand" trolls in the results.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    An ongoing poll at the M&P forums shows that about 90% of M&P owners experience zero failures out of the box... I that you could be one of the few who just had a faulty pistol, but I'm sure that S&W will make it right for you. I would not judge the pistol by the initial problem, but by the quality of the solution by the manufacturer.

Poll: Was your M&P reliable out of the box?

• 100% reliable -no failures (646 votes [89.47%])
    • Some initial failures due to bad mags (5 votes [0.69%])
    • Some initial failures due to faulty workmanship (23 votes [3.19%])
    • Failures which could not be resolved (10 votes [1.39%])
    • Some initial failures due to tight fitting parts, etc. (28 votes [3.88%])
    • Failures which started occurring later, after the break-in period (10 votes [1.39%])

This is an open poll, so there are a number of votes by "Other Brand" trolls in the results.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely not a "brand whore" or anything of that sort - which is why I picked up an M&P in the first place. Like you said, I just got a dud.

Jdalton765

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Muncie, Indiana
    Recently, I picked up a NIB M&P 9 (full size).

I took it out to the range a few days ago for the first time and within the first 50 rounds, I experienced 12 malfunctions: 7 light primer strikes and 5 FTFs.

I experienced at least one of each type of malfunction with all three brands of ammo I was using (factory RWS, Winchester WWB, and Blazer Brass FMJ). It malfunctioned with 124gr and 115gr ammo.

I experienced at least one of each type of malfunction with each of the S&W factory magazines.

Sent the gun back to S&W, courtesy of S&W. I didn't really feel like tinkering with it. They're going to check it out and hopefully do something about it. I'm thinking something is up with the following: striker channel, feed ramp (bur?), both magazines (potentially - the followers were kind of, how should I say this, awkward?).

When I get it back, it might be going up for sale.
    Loved the looks and ergonomics of the pistol. I'm a bit disappointed with my bad luck as I've been spoiled by no malfunctions with my other pistols. I know the M&P is a great platform but I think I just got a dud/lemon.

I did NOT clean the gun before shooting it. I did apply a light coating of Rem Oil on the slide rails, though.

Any similar experiences/malfunctions with new M&Ps? Merry Christmas. :patriot:

I had 2 rounds that didn't fire one time when i went out, i assumed it was a problem with the ammo, since i didn't have the issue with the other 100 rounds i put through it, maybe its the start of the same issue you're having?

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I had 2 rounds that didn't fire one time when i went out, i assumed it was a problem with the ammo, since i didn't have the issue with the other 100 rounds i put through it, maybe its the start of the same issue you're having?

So did you use different ammo when you went through the 100 trouble-free rounds? My light primer strikes were occurring at a rate of almost one every other round and with each type of ammo I was using (as mentioned in my OP).

I have had mine about 2 wks and so far I haven't had any issues with mine. I have only put 50 rounds through it so far

Sounds like it's running like it should.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    My current stock of 2 M&P .45 compacts have had one problem between the two, and that was a bad a magazine. Smith sent me a new spring as a replacement and no problems since. I have one with 550 rounds and the other with 300.

Interested to hear what the problem is with yours.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    My current stock of 2 M&P .45 compacts have had one problem between the two, and that was a bad a magazine. Smith sent me a new spring as a replacement and no problems since. I have one with 550 rounds and the other with 300.

Interested to hear what the problem is with yours.

I am as well. I will provide updates as they become available, which probably won't be for a while. S&W is closed from December 23 until January 2 for the holidays and wouldn't you know it, my gun made it there on the 23. :n00b:

Thanks for sharing. This particular post of yours caught my eye because I was having this exact same problem as well:

I will say, last night, when I racked the slide, the round wouldn't chamber. So I had to release the mag, and rack the slide again to eject the round.
    It happened twice, so I don't know if it was the way I racked the slide, or if it just needs to be cleaned.

My plan is to clean it, and go shoot it again,

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    since no one else has said it i will.

this is why you always fire your gun before you rely on it for protection no matter how high of quality you think it is.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    since no one else has said it i will.

this is why you always fire your gun before you rely on it for protection no matter how high of quality you think it is.

Exactly. Well said. I don't carry anything until it goes 600+ rounds with no hiccups whatsoever.

Top Bottom