• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Recently acquired a Taurus 605 and got to take it out today.

Of course, the first time I go to the range in months, it turns out to be the coldest day yet, and we got our first snowfall of the year. Yay.

Accuracy was great; milk-jugs at 25 yards was easy. I wasn't confident enough to take it further than that, because I had neglected to bring gloves, (since it was all of 50 degrees the day before, and this morning,) and my hands were pretty well numb.

I didn't have a chance to pick up any .357's, just some .38s and .38 +Ps. Recoil seemed stiff and stinging, but I am chalking that up to my mostly frozen hands and the sharp-ish edges of the grips. The seams where they join together is very abrasive.

Overall, I am very happy with it. A well-built, solid little .357 for less than $350 brand new is amazing, in my book. I have not yet had a problem with a Taurus firearm, and this one looks to be continuing that streak.

Does anybody know of a good aftermarket grip that doesn't have those sharp seams on it? The default Taurus one is perfect as far as size, (I can't get my pinky on it, but this is a CC weapon, so that is perfect,) but those seams are just brutal. Even with just a little shooting, (and dry firing at home,) I can feel where those seams sit on my hand.

In summary, anyone looking for a budget .357, (or .38,) snubby should definitely take a look at the Taurus revolvers.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Does anybody know of a good aftermarket grip that doesn't have those sharp seams on it? The default Taurus one is perfect as far as size, (I can't get my pinky on it, but this is a CC weapon, so that is perfect,) but those seams are just brutal. Even with just a little shooting, (and dry firing at home,) I can feel where those seams sit on my hand.

I have Pachmayr Compac grips on my 85 and I love them. They're larger than the boot grips, though; they fill my hand and give me someplace to put my pinky, making pocket carry a no-go, but are still small enough that concealing IWB is no problem at all. I believe the grips that fit the 85 also fit other small frame Taurus revolvers, so they may fit the 605 as well. I haven't tried it myself though.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I have a 605, never even shot it. It's got grips that have a place for the pinky though, and they have the little taurus badge so you have options with taurus grips too. They don't have any seems or sharp edges that look like would be a problem, but as I said I've never shot it.

386680_322761134413946_100000401870632_1071630_1768886109_n.jpg

408485_322761294413930_100000401870632_1071631_1134807970_n.jpg

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I recently bought a poly framed 605, and so far have been vey pleased with it.

It came with two sets of grips, the larger set that EVSNOVA74 has pictured, and a shorter set that I can't get my pinky on, but would conceal somewhat better than the larger grips.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    EVSN, thanks for he pics. They'll help me illustrate my point.

You see, I've got large, bear-like mitts. What happens is that my middle finger tends to get caught up on that edge that sticks out between the back of the trigger guard and the very front-most part of the rubber grip. That wouldn't a problem in itself, if it wasn't for the fact that the seam in the rubber at that point is basically two right angle corners coming together; during recoil, (and even during dry fire when I cock the hammer one-handed,) my middle finger is pressed into those two corners pretty hard, and I've still got a mark from yesterday.

Hardly a life-threatening injury, of course, and wouldn't affect my performance in a SD scenario, but mildly annoying at the range. That said, I took the grips off the gun, put them together, and hit them with a fine grit sand paper, and it is much better, (although still not perfect.)

Also, the gun is growing on me...I've taken to keeping it on my desk, while the others watch enviously from the safe or bedside table...it's my first revolver, all the rest of mine are autos.

Top Bottom