• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gort

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Just purchased my first rifle.:D Went with a SOCOM 16. Any suggestions on barrel break-in or is this just BS?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Excellent rifle. I'm an M1A fan myself. I use this method for breaking in new rifles.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbnYm_HmXg[/ame]

:welcome: To INGO btw......

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. Some barrels won't need breaking in, some will show benefit. Done properly it doesn't hurt anything, and the potential benefit is in reducing fouling later.

I have yet to see hard data on the effect on accuracy, but the average shooter is not generally good enough to be able to tell the difference regardless.

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    I wish I could bring myself to spend the money on that rifle. and that video was a good first break in process. props to you

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Here's what I did for my M1A Standard Loaded:

1. Patch cleaned the bore using Shooter's Choice until all patches were white. I pushed each patch straight through from the bore, not back and forth.

2. Using a brass jag and JB Bore Cleaner (blue label) and Kroil and a bore guide, I ran patches through, back and forth, until it started getting black, then added more compound and Kroil until the patch started feeling loose.

3. Clean the bore again as in step 1.

4. Use JB Bore Polish (red label) in the same manner as step 2.

5. Clean bore again like steps 1 and 3.

After lapping the bore this way I did notice that the bore seemed much brighter than it was after the initial cleaning.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never "broken in a barrel", and I have never had an issue. I took my Savage Edge to the range, unfired, and shot 1 group smaller then a dime, and one smaller then a nickle. All I do initialy, is swab the barrel well with a bore snake.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Find out who made the barrel and find out their recommendations. I purchased a custom AR upper that the manufacturer had specific instructions for best results. It requires a little more time than just" shoot it" but I consider it time well spent. Besides, I only ended up cleaning the bore 13 times in one day. It probably cost me 50 cents and time.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Below is a custom made hand lapped bore photo. The "actual" type barrel you would use a "break in" cleaning regiment on when new. ;)

smoothbore.jpg

Below is a new button rifled bore, do you think copper cleaner and a bore brush is going to remove the "high" points in a standard grade barrel?

990900081.jpg

Below, a really cheaply made button rifle bore.

roughbore.jpg

Do you really think "break in cleaning" will help the standard grade button rifled barrels above. :rolleyes:

There is "hype" and there is "reality" and such a thing as waisting your time.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just shoot it.

^This^
    I bought my Savage 10FP a month before I went to south Dakota. Sighted it in, did some load development, went to S.D. and shot 1000 rounds through it. No break in, shoots as good today as it did out of the box.
    The M1A I just won, cleaned it went out and shot about 100 rounds through it and didn't clean it till I got home.

Top Bottom