• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpmike25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Ok everybody I have decided to start reloading because I want to stockpile ammo. I don't know whats good and whats not and I want something that can reload rifle and pistol. I'd really prefer one that does rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I am new to this so I don't know what all I would need and what would do all my calibers, i'm lost. Someone please help me get whats needed so I can start learning. Thank you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ok everybody I have decided to start reloading because I want to stockpile ammo. I don't know whats good and whats not and I want something that can reload rifle and pistol. I'd really prefer one that does rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I am new to this so I don't know what all I would need and what would do all my calibers, i'm lost. Someone please help me get whats needed so I can start learning. Thank you.

Basically, most presses will do both common pistol calibers and common rifle calibers (this is referred to as metallic reloading), but you're not going to find that and shotgun shell reloading (I could be wrong, but I don't think I am).

If you're wanting to stockpile ammo, you're talking about quantity and you'll want a progressive press. You can spend a lot of time and energy looking at different equipment out there, but ultimately you're find through research that you're going to be the best off with a "Dillon 550B". It's the gold standard for progressive reloading. Do yourself a favor and type "Dillon 550B" into a youtube search and start watching videos.

Now that you've got a press, you'll need a scale. If you want an electronic (I'd recommend it) you should go with a "RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo". There's other ones out there, but this is the standard.

Regarding reloading components (brass, bullets, primers, powder):

Brass: You want quantity and it costs. Buying once fired brass online through classifides like INGO or through a site like gunbroker is one of the biggest ways to save money reloading FAST. I buy almost all my brass exclusively from gunbroker. I look for once fired brass that's the exact brand and caliber I want and I pay half of what it'd cost me to buy it new.

Bullets: Long story short, if you want accuracy buy Sierra bullets. For the money they're the best. If you want hunting bullets, I'd start looking at hornady's. If you don't care so long as it just goes bang when you pull the trigger then get the cheapest stuff you can find on gunbroker.

Primers: I'd recommend winchester primers. They will show higher pressure signs sooner then any other brand and that'd be valueable information to have when starting out.

Powder: All depends on the caliber you're going to reload.

Dies: For rifles, I like full length resizing dies because the ammo will work in any firearm. Pistols doesn't really matter.

Hopefully that gets you started, but use youtube and lookup whatever you are curious about.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't know of a press that would be able to load shotgun shells along with pistol and rifle. For pistol and rifle though, you have plenty of choices. A good single stage (like a Rockchucker) is extremely versatile, if slower than a turret press (a Lee Classic Turret is a good version of one of these), and much slower than a progressive (say, a Dillon 550B). You will need other items than just a press in order to get started, and to reload safely. There is a sticky at the top of this sub-forum that is quite good; you should read it. You might also consider taking a reloading class from Aszerigan at Pro Fire; he's a site advertiser and can show you many different options for presses while he teaches you how to reload safely.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    welcome to a new addiction...err i mean hobby.:D You need to get a reloading manual and start reading first. Also you wont find a loader that does shot gun and metallic (pistol/rifle) they are a different process. I dont do shot gun ammo. Its just way to cheap to buy to even mess with buying everything unless you are loading special loads for it. You will hear all kinds of opinions on what press to get and which one is better and blah blah blah. It comes down to (in my opinion) how much you are wanting to spend and how much time you have to fiddle with it. I am running a Lee pro 1000 and a lee classic press. The pro 1000 is a progressive that allows you to put out more ammo faster BUT its a tricky beast (relatively speaking) for a new loader. It also wont do some of the large rifle rounds which is why i have the classic press (for my 30-06). I do do my 9mm, 40, and .223 on my pro 1000 as all of those rounds are just target and fun rounds. Lee also has other presses that may suit your needs better and there are also some other brands that i will let other guys speak about that have more knowledge about them. Im not going to start the bashing of any other brands because to me as long as they do what they need and it fits your budget i dont see a problem with it.

Top Bottom