• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    My latest acquisition is a 1901 New Zealand pattern Lee-Enfield carbine. First manufactured for use by New Zealand troops during the Second Anglo-Boer war production estimates range from 1500 to 2000 pieces beginning in 1901 and ending production in 1903. This rifle shows a lot of dings from many years of hard use as a drill weapon.

jzw67t.jpg

2u5429h.jpg

29zol91.jpg

There is a rather nasty crack on the left side as shown above, and a lot less serious one on the right side. I've never made such repairs before, but there is plenty of information available on how to do so.

It's a shame it's such a rare piece as it is of a very handy length and lightweight for its cartridge. Would be an excellent rifle for use in the woods.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and it has gone a long way towards improving my fledgling Lee-Enfield collection.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very cool. I saw you mention it in another thread and I was picturing something more like the jungle carbine. I don't think I've ever seen one of these!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Perhaps you could resolve your shooting dilemma the same way I resolved (or rather am in the process as it isn't finished) of having a Krag carbine for a good not beat to Hell shooter. Given the cost (I can remember when they didn't cost anything like what they do now) and my disinclination to take an original in good condition out to shoot, I settled out on building one. Perhaps you could do the same with available parts and perhaps a little creativity in fashioning a stock and have your collector and a shooter as well?

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Perhaps you could resolve your shooting dilemma the same way I resolved (or rather am in the process as it isn't finished) of having a Krag carbine for a good not beat to Hell shooter. Given the cost (I can remember when they didn't cost anything like what they do now) and my disinclination to take an original in good condition out to shoot, I settled out on building one. Perhaps you could do the same with available parts and perhaps a little creativity in fashioning a stock and have your collector and a shooter as well?
    I had thought of this a bit. Due to the rarity of many of the parts it wouldn't be exact, but a facsimile could be created from a No.1 MKIII. Depending on how exacting one is it could probably be done for under $400. The dust cover and bolt mounted safety would probably have to be done away with, but the rest is doable. New lower forewoods can be obtained from a fellow in New Zealand on the order of NZ$125, or so I'm told. The biggest problem is how to replicate the stock end cap and bayonet lug. It seems very similar to that used on some models of Martini-Enfield artillery carbines made to fit the P1888 bayonet. Not that that item would be easy to find by itself though either.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had thought of this a bit. Due to the rarity of many of the parts it wouldn't be exact, but a facsimile could be created from a No.1 MKIII. Depending on how exacting one is it could probably be done for under $400. The dust cover and bolt mounted safety would probably have to be done away with, but the rest is doable. New lower forewoods can be obtained from a fellow in New Zealand on the order of NZ$125, or so I'm told. The biggest problem is how to replicate the stock end cap and bayonet lug. It seems very similar to that used on some models of Martini-Enfield artillery carbines made to fit the P1888 bayonet. Not that that item would be easy to find by itself though either.

Numrich sells the bolt cover (if I found the right thing). They are out right now, but they have more turnover in and out than you might think, often on account of having a small run of repros made and selling them 'til they run out. My guess is that the end cap and bayonet lug are as much a blacksmithing product as a machining product. In either case, you should be able to have one made without having to take out a second mortgage or anything. After all, you already have a perfectly good pattern!

Breech Bolt Cover Gun Parts | 956740B | Numrich Gun Parts

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Can't believe I didn't check Numrich! They've got Lee-Enfield No.1 mkI bolts in stock so they should have the lugs to attach the dust cover whenever it comes back in stock as well. Might even have the fixture for the bolt mounted safety still in place. After comparing my LEC bolt and SMLE bolt they are very similar so if I get creative it could work.

Looks like a standard No.1 MkI nose cap might also fit the bill for the end cap I was looking for earlier. Heck, I think we've tracked down everything except the six round magazine, and that can be produced from a modified ten rounder.

I'm beginning to think firearms enthusiasts veer a bit toward the strange side. Here I drop a good wad of money on a rifle only to want to spend more money to make a copy of it! Heh, as long as I enjoy myself while doing it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can't believe I didn't check Numrich! They've got Lee-Enfield No.1 mkI bolts in stock so they should have the lugs to attach the dust cover whenever it comes back in stock as well. Might even have the fixture for the bolt mounted safety still in place. After comparing my LEC bolt and SMLE bolt they are very similar so if I get creative it could work.

Looks like a standard No.1 MkI nose cap might also fit the bill for the end cap I was looking for earlier. Heck, I think we've tracked down everything except the six round magazine, and that can be produced from a modified ten rounder.

I'm beginning to think firearms enthusiasts veer a bit toward the strange side. Here I drop a good wad of money on a rifle only to want to spend more money to make a copy of it! Heh, as long as I enjoy myself while doing it.

:yesway:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The reversed Ball lug (Flat on top round on bottom) on the bolt is to die for... It seems like it is a very smart feature... How is grasping that when cocking.. Easier-Harder then a full ball???? Easier-Harder then the mausers that have the flat part of the ball facing the stock????? Very nice rifle

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The reversed Ball lug (Flat on top round on bottom) on the bolt is to die for... It seems like it is a very smart feature... How is grasping that when cocking.. Easier-Harder then a full ball???? Easier-Harder then the mausers that have the flat part of the ball facing the stock????? Very nice rifle
    I actually find the bolt handle more difficult to grasp, not necessarily because of the shape, but because the bolt lies practically flush with the side of the stock. No room to get your fingers behind it at all so it's quite a bit more difficult to grasp than other bolt action rifles I've handled.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    It is so Obvious that the designers went to great lengths to narrow the side profile to those rifles.

I wonder if it was to make the gun fit the existing New Zealand cavalry and mounted units Saddle scabbards??????????

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    That is the reasoning I have been given. It really is a very slim profiled rifle compared to my SMLEs, though I haven't had a chance to compare it to the more contemporary Long Lees.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Many thanks for that info and insight.... Does it shoot regular mil-surp 303...??????
    It can shoot the standard spitzer point ammo, but it is sighted for the Mk VI ball that preceeded it. If you aren't familiar with the various .303 iterations the MkVI is a 215 grain round nose instead of the common 174 grain spitzer.

The bore on this is fairly pitted however so I'm considering running cast loads in it if it doesn't like FMJs. Will have to repair that stock before I shoot it though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It can shoot the standard spitzer point ammo, but it is sighted for the Mk VI ball that preceeded it. If you aren't familiar with the various .303 iterations the MkVI is a 215 grain round nose instead of the common 174 grain spitzer.

The bore on this is fairly pitted however so I'm considering running cast loads in it if it doesn't like FMJs. Will have to repair that stock before I shoot it though.

If this gun were used by the military into the era of spitzer bullets, the sights may have been modified as was done ever so often as a retrofit with long-lived service rifles.

Top Bottom