• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Hello,

Here's the deal. I have now completely fallen in love with the 1911 platform, just like many of you said I would when I first joined this site a few months ago, and to my pocket books dislike. I absolutely love my Kimber Compact Aluminum, and it carries extremely well. I have progressed to the point with my smithing skills that I actually can completely detail strip it and reassemble it (yes i know, i'm a rookie). Now, I am getting the itch for a nice 1911, stainless, or at least stainless slide. I ran into a SW1911SC the other day with a bobtail, and JUST missed it. That being said, I'm on the hunt. My question is, how many of you that have shot the alloy frame kimber can give me a few experiences on how the others shoot with regards to recoil management, fit, and looks? I love my Kimber, and I will never part with it, but looking forward to my next purchase. Any suggestions, I'm open to officers size or full size as I do not have a full size as of yet.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ive owned one aluminum framed 1911 & that ruined me on ever owning another(frame cracked ,feed ramp would have hang ups with all bullet types prior to the break). I know that the alloy is better now but I'd much rather have an all steel 1911 IMHO.The smallest 1911 I would recommend is something in a commander size (4") just because almost anything smaller seems to be finicky with ammo selection.Im big on anything from Springfeild Armory ,have several & they all are solid performers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dunno, I have a Commander, it's been a good rig. I kinda think everybody should have 3 1911's:

shorty lightweight for CC

commander for nightstand, backup CC, optional fun gun

and an adj sight Government.............or heaven forbid.............LONG SLIDE (like a SA Trophy Match) :)

Excuse me while I go and light up a cigarette.............

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I had a Springfield Lightweight Bi-Tone that I absolutely loved. I read too many horror stories about alloy framed guns and I let my paranoia get the best of me. I sold it back in January.

Anyways, the gun was a great shooter and never missed a beat. The recoil was a bit snappier compared to my steel framed 1911's.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    My full size Custom Kimber with an alloy frame shoots great. As u know you can shoot it all day or until you run out of money for 45acp. As for shooting other 1911's with an alll steel frame, they shoot just as well but that extra weight does start to weigh on you.

As for your next choice maybe try one in a differnt caliber.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Aluminum will NEVER replace steel as a frame material on a 1911.

JMB didnt design them to be made out of aluminum....BUT.

My colt 3 1/2" aluminum framed gun has had the CRAP shot out of it by me and all the previous owners, its 27 years old and feeds winchester PDX1 just fine, and hasnt cracked yet.

Steel is the way to go with a good belt and holster(I sometimes add some suspenders when carrying a heavy gun), but the lightweight guns also have their place...I carry my lightweight colt more than anything else.

God bless
    -Shred

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II that is barely a year old, and needless to say I am less then happy with it. The aluminum frame(fit and finish) is terrible for a +$1000 gun. The only reason that I am hanging on to it is because of the money I have in it. I have had multiple FTFs with it using many different mags(Kimber, Chip McCormick, ACT, Wilson, etc.) and with different brands of ammo(FMJ and HP). On the other hand, I have a Kimber Custom TLE II that is pure flawless. It is heavy, but I don't really care about weight when carrying. A couple of ounces is a non-factor for me. I just feel more secure with a steel frame pistol. Maybe check out some foreign made 1911s. RIA, ATI, Armscor are just a few Filipino made pistols that are more then adequate that won't break the bank. I had an ATI 3" that never jammed on anything. Great little gun for its purpose. Hope this helps!

garyaug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    take a look at the S&W ES series my buddy picked one up for 775 and with my reloads it was shooting about 1.5" from a ransom rest

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the S&W1911 E series and love it. Very accurate, very reliable. Shoots Federal and Magtech FMJ without issues. Shoots HST and Critical defense without issues.

picture.php

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Kimber CDP 2 Pro wich has an alloy frame, and It is a well made, nice looking, accurate pistol. However, like other posters have said, alloy frame 1911s are not as durable as steel frame pistol. You would probably have to shoot the ally frame pistol a lot for it to fail, but it would never last as long as steel.

Dave

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Just buy a 5" Team Match II or Custom Covert II and be done with it... I own them both and they are by far my two fav 1911's I own

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We are fortunate to live in a world where we stress over which 1911 we should buy. Too many others around the world are not even able to buy an airsoft version. Lately, I've been getting into the full steel guns. They are a dream to shoot, and if you invest in a good rig are no worse to carry than an aluminum framed gun. A heavy gun will expose a cheap carry rig in the first 10 minutes of carry. Invest in a good belt and quality holster and you never know it's there.

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Just buy a 1911, shoot it, enjoy it and appreciate the history and elaganace of the masterpiece JMB created. Shooting a 1911 is like smoking a cigar, the best one is the one in your hand at that very moment.

Top Bottom