• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My little mouse gun turned 20 years old this month. after 20 years in a pocket holster the brand name and place of manufacture is long gone without a trace. the serial number is etched into the metal and is very plainly evident. Is this a legal problem? It's plain what gun it is..... it's just no longer marked.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    As long as the serial number is not removed and can be read you are fine, the police could care less if the make of the gun is worn off. Hell I have a WWII Walther PP that has nothing on it as far as brand and model and has a different serial number on the slide and the frame (late war model and is normal).

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I wish you didn't need a lawyer for this stuff, but to be safe you probably do.

Here is the wording from the 1968 GCA:

§ 922. Unlawful acts (k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

To me it appears that as long as the serial number is not defaced or removed, you are fine. This would pass the "common sense" test for the intent of the law (as wrongheaded as it may be), but the government isn't known for much common sense.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well Happy Birthday to your trusted friend! Sounds like she has served you well :yesway:

I agree, as long as the serial # is good you are good to go.

What is she??? Beretta?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Beretta? I wish! No, everybody can cool down. It's just that pos AMT Backup. I have worked concrete construction for ever. 20 years in a leather holster on the job site takes its toll, I have had to clean it a lot. the lost logo was in black on stainless steel. That Break-free CLP is real good stuff....... It cleaned the logo right off! Squeaky clean! On the up side the gun looks great even after 20 years, It's got a soft comfortable look now but not a stain anywhere. Thumbs up for break-free!

underwm4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I'd say that there is no problem. Like most people stated as long as the serial number is there, it doesnt matter about make and model.

Top Bottom