• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    There are apps that are intuitive and helpful. I've used this one below. Can enter any CC permits and it'll tell you where you're legal. Click on the state and there's a lot of resources and items to click on. Clicking in prohibited places for Ohio brings up the statute listed above. Thinks it's only a dollar and updates with changing laws over the year subscription.

View attachment 233025

I am the author of that app. Thank you for recommending it! As the laws change, it's updated 1x or 2x every month (and occasionally even more frequently), & pushes the updates automatically when you open the app to keep you up-to-date. Available both on iPhone and Android.

To the OP:
    As has been noted above, whether "no guns" signs have force of law varies widely state to state. Indiana is among the best. For Ohio, the law is:
    2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
    (3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.
    and
    Sec. 2923.1212.
    (A) Each person, board, or entity that owns or controls any place or premises identified in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code as a place into which a valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun, or a designee of such a person, board, or entity , shall post in one or more conspicuous locations in the premises a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: "Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    "knowingly" How do they prove I saw / knew about the sign?

NAL, but I assume that "knowingly" means you know you are carrying a gun, and probably also includes "should have known".

So "I accidentally picked up someone else's identical looking backpack" might be a defence but "I forgot I had my gun with me" is probably not.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I think the "knowingly"was applied as you knew the place in question was properly posted.

Most places I saw were not properly posted, and no one ever got video of me studying the front door diligently for their stupid sign.

A post it note, or a credit card sized sticker was technically good enough for everyone's purposes. They at least had some sort of notification, and everyone ignoring the sign had probable deniability.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I think the "knowingly"was applied as you knew the place in question was properly posted.

Most places I saw were not properly posted, and no one ever got video of me studying the front door diligently for their stupid sign.

A post it note, or a credit card sized sticker was technically good enough for everyone's purposes. They at least had some sort of notification, and everyone ignoring the sign had probable deniability.
    Just annoys me as there's no way a prosecutor prove that you knew, other than video evidence of you speaking out loud you saw it. I look at things all the time and don't "see them" (including people I know).

Stupid law.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Just annoys me as there's no way a prosecutor prove that you knew, other than video evidence of you speaking out loud you saw it. I look at things all the time and don't "see them" (including people I know).

Stupid law.
    I go back to the late 90's fighting for concealed carry in Ohio. We didn't get it until 2004. The original law was absolutely horrendous and the last 18 years have been constant fighting and bickering to improve the original law. Progress there grinds Federally slow. Yes, it is indeed a stupid law and it is barely enforced precisely because it's difficult to prove anything one way or the other.

I moved here in 2015 and I can say without a doubt that the firearm climate here has always been better. Never take that for granted or forget it. I still find it odd that up until recently there really was no state level gun rights organization in Indiana. Ohio had three (perhaps down to two now) not counting state arms of the NRA and GOA.

At least now Indiana has the 2A Project watching out for us. Thank you, Guy Ralford.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The carry sites may not have updated this, but IIRC Ohio just got rid of notification.
    You are correct, same bill as constitutional carry

I hope someday they will copy Indiana's attitude about no guns signage if we elect enough conservatives/republicans

Not sure you guys appreciate how unique and wonderful that bit of common sense really is. I am unaware of any other state duplicating it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    State law dictates where and how they MUST be posted to be in compliance. Gotta be so big, and in a place that is unmistakable to see.
    Yes, and has to be on outermost component of any given entrance clearly visible before you actually enter. Cannot, for instance, be on the inner set of a double door entrance such as a hotel lobby etc

Top Bottom