• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Or, if the water line froze before the water heater, she could have ran the water out of the heater (and it could not refill properly at the time due to the frozen feed line) and it ran dry which can cause all kinds of issues for an electric water heater, which could cause it to flip the breaker. Or as others have stated, the water heater has a bad element, from sediment causing similar behavior and then a line froze.

Nah...If the feed was frozen, then there was little or no pressure to force the water out of the tank. It'd be just like if you shut the valve off at the street. If the tank were elevated, you might get gravity to syphon it out but you'd likely have to have a way for air to get in or you'd probably not be able to maintain a stream.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If after the water meter its on her.

Maybe. Indianapolis water (whatever they are called now) considers ANYTHING from the pit into the house our responsibility, except the meter itself malfunctioning.

The packing was leaking on the valve on the supply side of the meter so I called with the same understanding deo had. I was told "if its in the pit, except for the meter, it is the homeowner's responsibility. We only repair/replace the meter itself."

I realized it was just a loose packing nut, so I tightened it and the leak stopped. Since what was coming out of the pipe and dripping into the ground was still THEIR product and not MINE (before the meter) I was prepared to say "screw them" and let their product leak out since I wasnt being charged for it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    She should call a plumber before it thaws or starts leaking bad...

Can't stress this enough. If a steel or copper pipe has frozen, there is a VERY good chance it has split and will leak profusely when it thaws.

Calling a plumber may well be the way to save money in this case.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We have a kitchen sink on an outside wall. If we forget to open the cabinets or leave a small stream running the cold water pipe can freeze up a little. We have been lucky that a small heater has solved the issues without a leak.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    She should call a plumber before it thaws or starts leaking bad. Even if it's the new stuff that can take a freeze it will need heat tape or more insulation in the problem area.

She better call pretty quick. A lot of the plumbers/HVAC folks are buried with work now. I was in the local Ace hardware store and they have guys coming in for parts like crazy. From what the extended forecast looks like no break in this cold weather until next Wednesday.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    If you get the water flowing you can check to see if there is a busted pipe by shutting off every water fixture in the house, preferably the main. Then go look at your meter to see if it is still spinning. If so then you have a leak somewhere.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Of course, that and leave a tiny stream of water running from faucets. Any time the temps are in the teens or below. How does anyone get old and not know that?

I open the cabinet wife shuts the cabinet. I open cabinet she shuts it. You get old and don’t know that because someone always takes care of it. Thankfully the small electrical heater she uses works perfect when she shuts it.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'd say chances are it's in the meter pit I thaw out several after each 3-day weekend on commercial properties. I just open a faucet and run a torch with a small flame across the meter and the meter yoke while watching the dial. Of course, once in awhile, the meter will be split. The meter being brass is the weak link. I also place fiberglass batting above the meter once it's thawed before securing the lid. Cold fridgid temps. suck!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I was just going to add this. I bet there is frozen pipe before the water heater and no water getting in. That's why no water at faucets. My guess is frozen main at the house somewhere, probably in garage if that's where heater is.
    Turned out to be the case , frozen main in the crawl before going into the house .
    A few hours , a hundred dollars worth of insulation and INGO .
    Thanks for the info guys .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Turned out to be the case , frozen main in the crawl before going into the house .
    A few hours , a hundred dollars worth of insulation and INGO .
    Thanks for the info guys .

That is why my 1st question was about the crawl space.
    You are a good man for helping in this way. We should see more of this.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Can't stress this enough. If a steel or copper pipe has frozen, there is a VERY good chance it has split and will leak profusely when it thaws.

Calling a plumber may well be the way to save money in this case.

My wife works for a hospital. She is basically den mother to all the Doogie Howser lookin residents. The hospital rents a house with 2 apartments that the single residents, or other visiting student docs, can live in if they want. Nobody has been there since a little before Christmas, so she stopped by this morning. Mainly just to make sure it hasn't been broken into. She noticed it was COLD, ice in toilet bowls cold. Whoever had been staying in the downstairs apartment had turned the thermostat to OFF. The upstairs thermostat had dead batteries.

She called to tell me this after she had left. I asked what did you do? She said, turned the heat back on. I told her to turn around, go back, and turn it OFF. At least until somebody shuts the water off at the main. She did.

They called the landlord who got his plumber to come out. Water is moving again and nothing is leaking. Yet.

Top Bottom