• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    After a lot of thought, my wife and I are thinking seriously about taking a trip to Alaska. We plan on taking my 2003 Ford F-150 crew cab. We want to take our dog and a shotgun. The year before last we took a three week trip to Yellowstone, via a roundabout route through many states and stopping to see a lot of other sights.

Our other option is to fly out with our dog in cargo and rent a motor-home.

Anyone done this before? Would we have any trouble finding accommodations along the way? Would the best route involve driving through the states and crossing into Canada out west? I know that we would need a USDA form for our dog from the vet. I suppose, if we drive, we'd have to get the shotgun approved in advance for the trip through Canada.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    My family travelled to Alaska about 6 years ago. We flew into Anchorage and then rented a motorhome near the airport. Tried to travel as inexpensively as possible(hard to do up there).

Pros to motorhome: kids could watch movies, move around, and nap as we travelled, cooked our own food, don't have to find places to stay or eat as you travel

Cons to motorhome: can't take them just anywhere only main roads, food is expensive - seemed to be just as reasonable to eat out in many places, make sure you get a good deal that includes all the supplies you need(ie. cooking utensils, bedding, paper supplies etc. - can't take all that stuff if flying)

Obviously, if you are driving you need to have alot of time. Plan to spend lots of bucks. Everything is pricey - food, events, etc.

We started in Anchorage - Wasilla - Denali - Fairbanks - North Pole - Palmer. From there Seward and then all around the Kenai Peninsula. Unfortunately, we did not do the Marine super Highway so we missed Juneau, Sitka etc.

The hardest part is with limited time you can only do so much. Everything is so far apart. Would love to return! We had a great time and it is the only place we have been where our boys have begged to go back.

Some of our highlights: Saw all the major 'critters' we wanted to see caribou, dall sheep, moose (everywhere and up close), wolves, whales, sea lions, lynx, grizzly bear, black bear etc. Lots of beautiful scenery. Panned for gold. Visited Transalaska pipeline. Mailed postcards from North Pole. Train ride. Sled dogs. Calving glaciers. Hiked to Harding Ice Field. Mount McKinley. Salmon and halibut fishing.

I suggest you decide ahead of time what you want to do and plan, plan plan. There is just so much time and so much to do and see you can't begin to cover it all. Many trips required!:D

Make sure you are warm enough. Layers needed. Most places their warm was quite cool to me. I wore a sweatshirt and windbreaker every day and some days more. Snowed in Denali, we were there June 28. Used heat in the Rv the whole time (they say it does get very warm in Fairbanks - not for us though).

Definitely, plan to take lots of photos (extra cards) and a spotting scope - we used it every day.

Good Luck! Enjoy the planning that is fun, too. Hope you have a great trip! It is just a must see for the outdoorsman.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    One more thing. If you are going to be there during the salmon run; check out the trip to Kodiak Island. I believe you must participate in a lottery style drawing to make the trip.

IIRC National Geographic has a webcam set up there with live feed viewable online during the salmon run. Great grizzly photos!

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Alaska is awesome, and you will love it. You do have some serious planning in store for you to maximize the trip. The expense of driving vs flying will just about wash when you figure all costs with driving. (hotels, food, gas, and time). As you recently drove out west, you have already seen much of what you will see again. Maybe that is your intent? Getting any firearm across the border creates additional obstacles. Depending upon the border crossing you use, you can expect to spend considerable time there having your trucks contents searched. If you book flights early, you can save serious expense and gift yourself extra time there. I certainly understand wanting to take the dog, but you are certainly adding a large burden to yourselves. (R.V. Rental, hotels, boat trips, or trains) There is a great train ride out of Anchorage, and several boat trips to see Glaciers birthing. This may be a good time to consider a Taurus Judge as well, as it is so much easier to carry, and would be one less bag to check. Depending on how much time and money you have, you could consider an R.V. for one week, and then a car for the next week so you are not paying for the R.V. to sit in the parking lot while you are on a boat or train? Best advise I can give is book early, as everything fills up quickly, and as stated in a previous post, be prepared to spend far more for everyday expenses. If you do get up there, the only regrets you will have will be that you waited so long to go, and that it is so expensive to go back.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Been there done that - took a month and drove North through Edmonton. It's a long but worthwhile trip. I would drive it once. Now that we've done the Alaska highway, I'd fly next time.

Assuming that you are looking towards a summer trip - I would drive it. Yes you have to get any firearms approved. Yes Canada sucks about that.

But the whole trip is beautiful. I'll have more suggestions when I can write more.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Alaska is awesome, and you will love it. You do have some serious planning in store for you to maximize the trip. The expense of driving vs flying will just about wash when you figure all costs with driving. (hotels, food, gas, and time). As you recently drove out west, you have already seen much of what you will see again. Maybe that is your intent? Getting any firearm across the border creates additional obstacles. Depending upon the border crossing you use, you can expect to spend considerable time there having your trucks contents searched. If you book flights early, you can save serious expense and gift yourself extra time there. I certainly understand wanting to take the dog, but you are certainly adding a large burden to yourselves. (R.V. Rental, hotels, boat trips, or trains) There is a great train ride out of Anchorage, and several boat trips to see Glaciers birthing. This may be a good time to consider a Taurus Judge as well, as it is so much easier to carry, and would be one less bag to check. Depending on how much time and money you have, you could consider an R.V. for one week, and then a car for the next week so you are not paying for the R.V. to sit in the parking lot while you are on a boat or train? Best advise I can give is book early, as everything fills up quickly, and as stated in a previous post, be prepared to spend far more for everyday expenses. If you do get up there, the only regrets you will have will be that you waited so long to go, and that it is so expensive to go back.
    I thought that taking a handgun into Canada was nigh on impossible.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    After a lot of thought, my wife and I are thinking seriously about taking a trip to Alaska. We plan on taking my 2003 Ford F-150 crew cab. We want to take our dog and a shotgun. The year before last we took a three week trip to Yellowstone, via a roundabout route through many states and stopping to see a lot of other sights.

Our other option is to fly out with our dog in cargo and rent a motor-home.

Anyone done this before? Would we have any trouble finding accommodations along the way? Would the best route involve driving through the states and crossing into Canada out west? I know that we would need a USDA form for our dog from the vet. I suppose, if we drive, we'd have to get the shotgun approved in advance for the trip through Canada.
    As a Canadian I have a little knowledge of this. First yes have all your dogs papers in order including vet papers.

Your shot gun will be a little tricky but mot overly. The permit you get will allow you to bring it ONE WAY into Canada. (unless things have changed and we are talking about regulations)

So when you enter it will get your gun into Canada going into Alaska. When you leave Alaska you must have another permit to reenter Canada with it.

One of my friends going to Alaska thought he could do a round trip (twice through Canada) and now his name is on a nice little list.

There are multiple routes to get there. The Alaskan Highway in Alberta (which is the cheapest way if your driving) is beautiful and you will go right by my old house.

Plus if you go during the right time you can go through the Icefields Parkway

You could see Canmore, Banf & Jasper National Park along the way as well if you took your time. Although you may want to check if you can go in with a shotgun. Something at the back of my head is saying it's a problem.

Not that you have to say anything here but if you have a DUI or DWI. Then fly. They are both Indictable Offences (Equal to a Class A Felony) in Canada and you will be refused entry.

If you really want to have a cell phone while going through then buy a cash and carry one there. US cellphone usage in Canada will have you remortgaging your home.

It's a beautiful place to go through to get to Alaska and I miss it hope you have a greast time!

From a homesick Albertan

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    You will not be carrying a handgun legally in Canada. Not allowed, go straight to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200!

Please be wise in this an American (especially) caught carrying a handgun in Canada will see the inside of a prison.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Been there done that - took a month and drove North through Edmonton. It's a long but worthwhile trip. I would drive it once. Now that we've done the Alaska highway, I'd fly next time.

Assuming that you are looking towards a summer trip - I would drive it. Yes you have to get any firearms approved. Yes Canada sucks about that.

But the whole trip is beautiful. I'll have more suggestions when I can write more.
    You would have driven right by my house on the Alaskan Highway. I mean literally 100 yards! How come you didn't stop by for tea?

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    My post regarding taking a handgun was meant to be as declared and checked luggage if he were to fly. I thought that was understood when I stated that it would be one less bag to check. In no way would I consider trying to cross any border, with a handgun. Also, if you do fly, and check your handgun, it must be in a locked and approved case, unloaded.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had a friend who took a shotgun with him while transiting Canada. He did have to get a permit to bring it in. I wouldn't want to be unarmed in Canada, especially in the wilds. I would think that visiting hunters from the U.S. would commonly take their firearms with them on booked hunting or fishing trips.

Top Bottom