NRA High Power Championships at Atterbury? How did they go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm always surprised how little attention this gets on INGO. I've always lurked and never been to any of these events but think it is really cool that it is being held at Camp Atterbury now.
    Any locals place well?
    How is the facility fairing, what is the chatter regarding whether Atterbury is likely to keep the event?
    Anyone go to help? As an NRA instructor/RSO I got the email a long time ago to help but couldn't logistically show up.
    Anyone go?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Eh.

Ended up 12th Service Rifle in Long Range. It was a frustrating 4 days, but I figured out a problem, so hopefully I can represent myself and Indiana a little better next year.

-Nate

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Natdscott, I figured you would be there. :-)
    What is the take from the participants regarding the facility? Do you overhear anything suggesting people like having this at Atterbury or rumblings indicating people "can't wait until it goes back to Camp Perry"?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    NRA does a poor job of keeping High Power visible to people who aren't already participants. In my experience, very few high power shooters seem interested in reaching out to people in other shooting sports to attract new people. The same is true for bullseye pistol.

Other than the Bianchi Cup, NRA has succeeded in killing NRA Action Pistol, which is a shame. They've done the same for PPC, especially by sticking with "no badge, no play" (and I know a handful of club allowed on LEO to shoot, but most of those clubs are gone too).

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Natdscott, I figured you would be there. :-)
    What is the take from the participants regarding the facility? Do you overhear anything suggesting people like having this at Atterbury or rumblings indicating people "can't wait until it goes back to Camp Perry"?

Well, I think it is very positive from the Cross-Course croud on the interweb. I wasn't THERE for either XC or Mid Range, but I still discuss among that crowd.

There are still plenty that grumble about "it's not Perry", but I think the "ammunition" against Atterbury has fairly quickly dried up. It IS a nice facility with a great range. It IS a solid location near a major airport and TWO urban/semi-urban cities. It DOES have other things to do and see for families in attendance. It DOES have QUALITY, PLENTIFUL, and CHEAP accommodations on base. It DOES have true Interstate highway access.

Not all of those can be said for Camp Perry, if a person is able to view the thing objectively.

So some of the Long Range crowd was really pissy last year about range quality and condition (and righteously). This year, that excuse and complaint was mostly removed.

I choose to stay out of the discussions about Perry v. Atterbury mostly, and that is simply because I have a clear geographical bias, even if I am thankful to really be quite close to either one. The only time I jump in is to skin alive anybody who criticizes Base personnel and procedures. Those people don't deserve anything but praise for putting up with us, and I won't stand for less.

At the end of the day, Atterbury is great and has a number of things going for it better than Perry, with the obvious exception of people's perceptions of the tradition. I think a good many of the competitors would agree with me, but as to whether it succeeds, I can't say.

Either way, I'm damned happy to have it as my home range, and frankly, I'm happy to have had some of the NRA's money go toward range improvements on KD-6. It's 87.32% better than it was, and it'll stay that way for the Indiana shooters, regardless of the rest of the country.

-Nate

Top Bottom