• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nothing to see here, makes perfect sense when you consider the "extensive" studies of the vaccines before they were touted as the best thing since sliced bread and released upon the public.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Couldn't agree more. Agencies like the FDA are not good ideas. The protect themselves and not us. The FDA has no skin in the game where as everyone who needs or wants to take a drug does.

The FDA removes skin in the game for the drug manufacturers by creating a synthetic organization that is responsibly for drug safety when the drug manufacturer should have that liability. If they did they would make safer and better drugs.

I equate it to the FAA and aircraft safety. Boeing makes a plane and the FAA has responsibility for it's safe design. Boeing off loads that liability to the FAA who consults with Boeing in the design. Plane is "approved" and falls apart midair. Boeing doesn't realize the full liability because FAA is responsible. We get planes that are less safe and are more expensive. The same things with drugs and many other things.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does the FDA do nonsensical and inefficient things? Absolutely.

...but elsewhere I've heard a lot of complaining about "Big Pharma"...is the solution really, let everyone have everything and later their heirs can sue?

Perhaps reformation rather than abolition is in order.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    A deal was made....

Published July 1, 2019 This article is more than 2 years old.
    Pharma-giant Pfizer announced on June 28 that the former US Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gottlieb would be joining its board of directors. The move fell in line with a troubling pattern: After their tenure at the FDA, commissioners tend to go on to advise private companies in the pharmaceutical industry.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    A deal was made....

Published July 1, 2019 This article is more than 2 years old.
    Pharma-giant Pfizer announced on June 28 that the former US Food and Drug Administration commissioner Scott Gottlieb would be joining its board of directors. The move fell in line with a troubling pattern: After their tenure at the FDA, commissioners tend to go on to advise private companies in the pharmaceutical industry.
    Same happened with Purdue Pharma,,,,The FDA guy got Purdues Oxycontin on the roll.....then 2 years later went to work for Purdue. History repeats itself.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

...but elsewhere I've heard a lot of complaining about "Big Pharma"...is the solution really, let everyone have everything and later their heirs can sue?

I'm not sure reformation is possible after this point in time.

The corporate world has merged with the government to such an extensive degree, unless you reset the whole monster from the ground up, it's never going to accomplish anything. At this point the only difference between the government and large corporations is the profit margin.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

That isn't the solution. The solution is that big Pharma have it's skin in the game rather than be able to off load the responsibility for drug safety to the government.

That arrangement creates a partnership between the two that should not exist. Pharma gets cover and government gets power/control.

It doesn't and should not be that way.

Pharma should stand on it's own. If it wishes to release a drug for a specific disease/treatment it should certainly be able to do so. It alone should take the risks and reap the rewards for it's efforts.

Do you think they might release better and safer drugs if the pharma company (and in my world, the decision makers at the corporation) have real liability for those decisions? I do!

Pfizer has a COVID treatment that they say stops 90% of COVID hospitalizations. Presumably that drug also stops 90% of CVOID deaths. Yet the FDA will not allow it's release right now. WHY? It's not safe enough? It's absurd!

We never gave the government the power to do such things. We need to simply take back those powers and we would all live better, healthier and happier lives.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Any reformation needs to remove virtually all power from them. The decisions should be made at the doctor/pharmacist level with the patient. ALL risk should be on those providing the drugs.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I'm halfway through this and it's excellent. If you don't have Spotify, maybe family or friend does. Not too expensive anyway.

Top Bottom