• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The poacher was amazingly stupid to think that he could go public with this without someone having evidence of it being located over 20 miles away.
    Do you have any links that mention it supposedly being 20 miles away? I don't have a dog in the hunt but all I can find is "Alexander failed to obtain the lawfully required written permission prior to hunting on private property." That could mean he had zero permission or that he had verbal permission but didn't get it in writing. If he broke the law I hope he feels the full weight of it, looks like he could be fined $30,000 based on the size of the deer if he's convicted.

I've experienced having petty, immature trash human beings for neighbors, I could easily see false accusations being made by someone else who was after that buck. We've had false accusations leveled at us to DNR by a neighbor because he couldn't kill a wild turkey to save his life and we never had any trouble. Couldn't have possibly been his **** poor hunting skills, we must have been baiting them.

I'll be interested to see the story once it comes out. If he killed that deer unlawfully he should have his hunting privileges revoked for life.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do you have any links that mention it supposedly being 20 miles away? I don't have a dog in the hunt but all I can find is "Alexander failed to obtain the lawfully required written permission prior to hunting on private property." That could mean he had zero permission or that he had verbal permission but didn't get it in writing. If he broke the law I hope he feels the full weight of it, looks like he could be fined $30,000 based on the size of the deer if he's convicted.

I've experienced having petty, immature trash human beings for neighbors, I could easily see false accusations being made by someone else who was after that buck. We've had false accusations leveled at us to DNR by a neighbor because he couldn't kill a wild turkey to save his life and we never had any trouble. Couldn't have possibly been his **** poor hunting skills, we must have been baiting them.

I'll be interested to see the story once it comes out. If he killed that deer unlawfully he should have his hunting privileges revoked for life.
    This Outdoor Life article is the only thing I've seen in print that mentions the discrepancy in kill locations. However, I've seen a couple of YT videos detailing the case that specifically mention the distance between where it was supposedly killed and where trail cam photos were taken of it along with some other odd things. I have to admit though, that I've been inclined to think there was something up with the kill ever since I saw Alexander give somewhat conflicting statements in interviews early on.

I've been on the other side of this situation before where I've had trail camera evidence that a neighbor lied about a big buck he killed so when a story doesn't add up or changes I start getting suspicious. Unfortunately, the local CO wouldn't investigate since I didn't have proof that he actually poached the buck in question, even though he almost certainly did.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This Outdoor Life article is the only thing I've seen in print that mentions the discrepancy in kill locations. However, I've seen a couple of YT videos detailing the case that specifically mention the distance between where it was supposedly killed and where trail cam photos were taken of it along with some other odd things. I have to admit though, that I've been inclined to think there was something up with the kill ever since I saw Alexander give somewhat conflicting statements in interviews early on.

I've been on the other side of this situation before where I've had trail camera evidence that a neighbor lied about a big buck he killed so when a story doesn't add up or changes I start getting suspicious. Unfortunately, the local CO wouldn't investigate since I didn't have proof that he actually poached the buck in question, even though he almost certainly did.
    We've seen bucks that were regulars on our farm get killed four and five miles away. We were always suspicious but at the same time I saw one study with a collared mature buck and he had two areas he frequented during different times, 13 miles apart.

Things like this remind me of the "nightmare" buck out at Eagle Creek Park in Indy. That buck was known by dozens of people and some idiot thought he could get away with poaching it and no one would be the wiser.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    We've seen bucks that were regulars on our farm get killed four and five miles away. We were always suspicious but at the same time I saw one study with a collared mature buck and he had two areas he frequented during different times, 13 miles apart.

Things like this remind me of the "nightmare" buck out at Eagle Creek Park in Indy. That buck was known by dozens of people and some idiot thought he could get away with poaching it and no one would be the wiser.
    I think the Huff Buck was killed something like 8 miles from where other hunters had photos of it. However, in that case the guys that had photos of it had only gotten photos of it previous years in late December. As you noted, 8 miles is far but not nearly as far as other bucks have been known to travel.

In my case, it wasn't a matter of distance. The problem was that the guy claimed that he both had trail cam photos of it all season long and that he didn't know it was missing almost the entire right side of it's rack when he shot it on opening day of firearms season. I had a trail cam photo of the buck dated October 7th showing that the antler had been shot/broken off already then. The guy conveniently and quite unbelievably "found" the missing side later toward the end of December. The local CO said that there was no way to be sure that it was the same buck and that it was probably just a different 19 pointer that happened to have the same side broken off! The guy was eventually busted by a different CO a couple years later for hunting over bait. Biggest buck I've ever had on camera.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think the Huff Buck was killed something like 8 miles from where other hunters had photos of it. However, in that case the guys that had photos of it had only gotten photos of it previous years in late December. As you noted, 8 miles is far but not nearly as far as other bucks have been known to travel.

In my case, it wasn't a matter of distance. The problem was that the guy claimed that he both had trail cam photos of it all season long and that he didn't know it was missing almost the entire right side of it's rack when he shot it on opening day of firearms season. I had a trail cam photo of the buck dated October 7th showing that the antler had been shot/broken off already then. The guy conveniently and quite unbelievably "found" the missing side later toward the end of December. The local CO said that there was no way to be sure that it was the same buck and that it was probably just a different 19 pointer that happened to have the same side broken off! The guy was eventually busted by a different CO a couple years later for hunting over bait. Biggest buck I've ever had on camera.
    That's frustrating as hell

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's frustrating as hell
    Yes, it was but that wasn't the really frustrating part. I had a second trail cam photo of the same buck a few minutes before it was killed. The really frustrating part is that, after seeing the buck the prior year in the same location as the those two trail cam photos, I had purposely not hunted that spot because I didn't want to be tempted to shoot a buck that big with one side missing. Oh well, at least I didn't hunt the spot, pass the buck, and then have it killed a few minutes later. :ugh:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In

He shot the deer in one place then moved it to his sister place where he had permission.Then staged a kill area and called a CO to verify the kill which the CO done.

Then a person came forward with camera pictures 20 miles away and time stamped 12 hours from kill time supposedly…. The person with camera pic is said to be a local DA in the area!

The guy that bought the Huff Buck had also just taken possession of this deer from CY and that’s where it was confiscated!( 30k is rumored price)

Al this information is from third party and I believe it to be true…. Time will tell and I say this isn’t the first deer this guy has poached… just first time getting caught!

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    He shot the deer in one place then moved it to his sister place where he had permission.Then staged a kill area and called a CO to verify the kill which the CO done.

Then a person came forward with camera pictures 20 miles away and time stamped 12 hours from kill time supposedly…. The person with camera pic is said to be a local DA in the area!

The guy that bought the Huff Buck had also just taken possession of this deer from CY and that’s where it was confiscated!( 30k is rumored price)

Al this information is from third party and I believe it to be true…. Time will tell and I say this isn’t the first deer this guy has poached… just first time getting caught!
    Yeah, those are basically the same details I saw.

Top Bottom