• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, I had to pull the trigger, so to speak, on a vehicle. I have a collection that I don't shoot so I am thinking about selling off about 1/2 of it. Going to go through them and see what they are worth but I can probably pay off the car by doing that. I like to have a certain amount of free cash available above my budget because I always go over anyway. I am at least in a position to have money left over at the end of the month after years of working.

Was driving a 93 Cherokee and the brake booster went out so I took it to Firestone to fix and they took out the right front corner driving it into the bay so I am waiting on their claims department to call me back. That was my Winter car and loved it. It has 262K on it and would probably go another 40K but it does look like it has gone 262K (GF calls it a POS). Don't know what I will do with that yet but I will miss it. Bought a used Toyota FJ Cruiser to replace it.

How do you like the FJ? What year,and where did you pick it up? I like those, but the visibility when driving them seems really limited.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pay off any debt that accrues interest first. I'd first use any current income to pay off your vehicle ANd debt. The guns value will appreciate much more and faster than cash will at current interest rates.
    Sounds like you live within your means which is what 80% (a guess) of Americans fail to do.
    keep the guns.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Guns are just 'things/inanimate objects' (even though they may be really really cool things!). I have a couple guns that have sentimental value that I would probably never sell unless I was hungry, and I'd try to hang onto one or two items for self-defense. Beyond that, they're all 'fair-game'. If your 'stuff' becomes such an emotional attachment that it is dragging down other area's of your life (mentally and/or financially), it's really time to re-evaluate where your priorities are (I don't mean that as a slam, just something that many of us wrestle with). Unless the tight financial situation were very temporary, I would not remain in debt in order to hang onto 'stuff'. Hope things go well.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I would sell the more "run of the mill stuff" to get out from underneath the interest of the credit cards. You can always buy more guns especially if you debt free. The interest your paying alone will buy a gun or two a year depending on balances. I've pined over most guns I've sold too, but not as much as I pine when I used to pay interest on credit cards when I was younger. I think back over all the money I gave those high interest loans and it almost makes me sick. Think of all the fun you could have re building your collection over the next few years when your debt free.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Its not about the guns going bad. It's about getting out of debt. Getting out of debt provides tremendous benefits to your mental well-being and ability to handle problems/disasters.

I would cut back, particularly on duplicates and ones that are easily replaceable when cash is more available. Each of mine have a specific niche/function. Extras get sold/traded. I understand some have a hard time letting go, but safe queens that keep you in debt are not doing you any favors.

I agree with this post whole-heartedly. Selling guns sucks, believe me I know, but there's definitely something to be said about the feeling of waking up debt-free (or at least out from under crushing debt.)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How do you like the FJ? What year,and where did you pick it up? I like those, but the visibility when driving them seems really limited.

So far not a week owning it but I am more impressed every day. Gas mileage, don't ask. Don't get one if you worry about that. Visibility is the biggest complaint but my Cherokee's rear view mirror fell off years ago and I don't see any difference for me driving the FJ. You adapt.

I picked it up used from the Hubler group and they had a fantastic price on it because they took it in used from Tom Wood (trade in I would assume) and it sat on their lot for too long.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The older I get, the less material possessions matter to me. You cant take it with you.

Firearms seem to have a mystical power to those who frequent the forums. Bottom line, they aren't that important. What's important is the time spent with your family and giving them the life they deserve. I could cut my collection in half at least right now and not look back if my wife needed a European vacation or the debt were piling up. Its just stuff.

That said, I am a hoarder myself. I get caught up justifying my purchases as investments too. Lots of stuff I don't shoot, some I just collect, multiple carry guns, HD firearms of various types blah blah blah. Ive even got a rifle for that Elk hunt ill probably never go on. Bottom line, its no different than a little old lady with a house full of Hummel figurines.

No clue your age but I am pretty much in that mode now. I am a bit obsessive so when I was buying, I was involved. Now, not so much. I don't need what I have and rarely shoot any of them so it is time to consolidate to what I can practically use or need. I have a few handguns that I go to. I have a few firearms that my daughter would like to have. Other than that, I don't need any of the ones that sit.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    The worst part of selling some guns is that most people wanna screw you to get themselves a great deal! Luckly the ones I've sold lately I have made a little on. I'm not into screwing fellow gun owners.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The worst part of selling some guns is that most people wanna screw you to get themselves a great deal! Luckly the ones I've sold lately I have made a little on. I'm not into screwing fellow gun owners.

If I haven't said it yet WELCOME TO INGO!

Top Bottom