• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I am guessing at some point someone threw out some watermelon rinds seeds out the back door at some point in the spring, well now there is about 5 or 10 plants out there surprisingly there are watermelons on the vines. Anyone have any idea how to tell when they are ripe?

thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The white spot where it has been resting on the ground should turn yellowish and it should feel heavy for its size.

One year I put in a flower garden for my wife on Mother's Day, using compost from our compost bin. We didn't have to buy pumpkins for Halloween that year.
    I remember as a kid, I think I talked Dad into planting pumpkins in the garden (we had a huge garden, about 50'x75'). Dad chose some kind of hybrid that just went crazy. We had pumpkins growing up in the line of big white pines to the north of the garden. A couple of the pumpkins on the ground were so big that they took two men to lift.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    We have had volunteer pumpkins coming up for 5 years now. Planted a couple for the grandkids and now they are everywhere. In the garden, the flower garden, and in front of the house.

This year is especially good for them for some reason. Grandkids will have a ball in a few months.

Don

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I am guessing at some point someone threw out some watermelon rinds seeds out the back door at some point in the spring, well now there is about 5 or 10 plants out there surprisingly there are watermelons on the vines. Anyone have any idea how to tell when they are ripe?

thanks
    Back in my miss-spent youth when we rustled watermelons.
    Small enough to run with and darker on the bottom.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have had volunteer pumpkins coming up for 5 years now. Planted a couple for the grandkids and now they are everywhere. In the garden, the flower garden, and in front of the house.

This year is especially good for them for some reason. Grandkids will have a ball in a few months.

Don
    My pumpkins would never volunteer for anything. I had to practically threaten them with a knife to get them to do anything. If they refused then, I'd cut a hole in the top of them and scrape out their guts. Then I'd do unspeakable things like carving a face on their side.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My pumpkins would never volunteer for anything. I had to practically threaten them with a knife to get them to do anything. If they refused then, I'd cut a hole in the top of them and scrape out their guts. Then I'd do unspeakable things like carving a face on their side.
    Wait..isn’t that the plot of Reservoir Dogs?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    They’re dangerous, best not take any chances shoot to kill!!! Channel your inner Gunny Ermey….
    Did I mention I hate watermelons?….
    Man, that's an old reference. :laugh:

I credit Mail Call and Tales of the Gun with making me a gun nerd as a kid. Used to record them on VHS and stash the tapes to watch when the parents weren't around. RIP Gunny.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Welcome to the club. Planted my first this year. This is how to tell. I can confirm.
    If you look carefully at the stem, back where it attaches to the main vine, you will see a weird tendril. As the melon ripens, the tendril will wither and turn brown. When it withers away and falls off (or nearly so) its time to pick.

I picked a melon with the tendril just brown and wilty. It was edible, but there were yellow streaks still in the fruit. So it appears that we need to wait until it all but falls off? :dunno:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I remember as a kid, I think I talked Dad into planting pumpkins in the garden (we had a huge garden, about 50'x75'). Dad chose some kind of hybrid that just went crazy. We had pumpkins growing up in the line of big white pines to the north of the garden. A couple of the pumpkins on the ground were so big that they took two men to lift.
    My great uncles put in about 4 acres of watermelons and honeydews every year in their working years.
    It kept all of the familys personal slaves busy at picking time loading the trailer with four gaylords to take to the bi-weekly farm market.
    I wish I had a buck for every 50 bu bag of white corn I picked growing up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom