• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I have come accross some old 45 acp ammo, 2 boxes with 42 bullet in each. The boxes are torn open and the ammo is loose. 46-WCC42 bullets, 28-RA42 bullets, 9-WRA45AC bullets, 1-FA42 bullet. The boxes are a lite blue cardboard with 45 auto written in black marker on them. I believe these to be army surplus but i'm not positive. Give some input if you have any, if nothing of importance i'm taking them to the range and then cleaning my gun realy good.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    How were they stored?

In a damp basement? In a hot attic? etc.?

How do they look?

Are the primers corroded? etc.?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I would be very very very VERY leery of firing those for multiple reasons. First, you don't know exactly what they are, could they be reloads? My guess is that is likely with the mixed headstamp and such. Even if they are in fact factory ammo, I'd pay special attention to the condition of the boxes they were in, check for water damage, corrosion etc. If it were me, I'd just pull them for the brass and the bullets and not fire them in such an unknown condition.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Unless the outside shows corrosion, I'd shoot one. If it functions as advertised, then shoot the rest at your leisure. That military ammo had sealed primers and bullets. By 1942, it is most likely that they are non-corrosive. If you want to be on the safe side, after shooting them, detail strip down your pistol and liberally apply Windex or hot soapy water. Dry thoroughly and re-lube (Corrosion X or Eezox).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Black marker, on a light blue colored box, with mixed head-stamp cases? That doesn't sound like mil-surp to me, that's someone's old reloads. Pull 'em down or give 'em to someone you don't like very much.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    The case markings indicate they are US made WW2 surplus cases. If they are 230 gr Full metal jacket round nose, and have a small rim around the primer still intact ( that is how primers were "crimped" in back in the day), then they are not reloads. I have shot alot of this type of ammo and it is very good non corrosive ammo. However if the bullets are anything other then 230 gr FMJ, the primer pockets appear to have the crimp swaged, then they are reloads and it is anybodys guess on how good they are.

FA- Franford Arsenal

WCC- Winchester Cartridge Company

Top Bottom