• ...and so much more!
  • Derpacoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Indy
    OK guys here is the deal.

I was recently given two old guns by my Great Grandmother. She told me she had some of my Great Grandpa's guns she was going to get rid of and being someone who enjoys firearms I was quite interested in getting them.

So I headed on over to see what she had.

The first was a armi galesi brescia in .25 auto that dry fired dust, but I have since cleaned it very well and it seems to function fine.

The second, and reason for this post, is an old Iver Johnson break action revolver. I have looked into it some and it looks like it is an old Saftey Automatic Hammerless Model 2. My brief internet search shows that it should have been manufactured 1897-1908 which to me seems pretty dang old. It is chambered in .38 S&W. It is stamped with patent dates from 1886,1887,1896. It is also stamped: Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass.

Anyways it seems to have maybe 40% of the finish remaining on the gun. The Hammer still works and the cylinder clocks. Just looking at the gun I am very skeptical. Some of the mechanics of the gun scare me. Some posts I have found regarding old Iver Johnson mention they have the ability to explode in the operators hand.

I am not comfortable shooting it, and believe I will take it to a gunsmith to get it looked at before I shoot it(or even tie a string to it and hide behind a tree!).

So, I guess i'm just asking the community if they have an information they could offer about this gun. Any advice on it's reputation. And, any thoughts or ideas on how to restore it!

IMG_0603_zps36850042.jpg

IMG_0604_zps168d2d40.jpg

IMG_0605_zps610938f7.jpg

IMG_0606_zps7d7c5360.jpg

IMG_0607_zps76103b35.jpg

IMG_0609_zps4599530c.jpg

IMG_0610_zpsa596b778.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsedba2273.jpg

So let me know what you think!

Thanks guys

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My dad had a 38 S&W revolver and had to order the 38 S&W ammo from a local gun shop. It was very costly.

I have heard of the old Iver Johnson blowing up. They said that it had to do with the timing.

I think if it was me I would just put it under glass in a case.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ammo should not be to hard to find as they make it for cowboy shooting although steel gives a good ring and rings every time you hit it. The cowboy stops yelling after short time.

Top Bottom