• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    So I bought a cheap Czech vz 24 Mauser a while ago from Aimsurplus, but it's just sat in my safe since. It was pretty beat up and mismatched, so I took it to a gun smith (David Schwarze in Fort Wayne). He told me he had never seen that much headspace in one of these and didn't think I should fire it. But I love the action and think the rifle has potential. Someone took about an inch of the rifling away, counterboring I guess. Normally I like to keep things mostly original, but I also like to shoot my guns. So what would people say are my best options? Should I just look at repairing it (I don't know exactly what that would mean)? Should I rechamber it for .308 or 30.06 for easier ammo availability? All input is much appreciated!
    imag0243fj.jpg
    imag0242x.jpg
    imag0242x.jpg
    imag0243fj.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Mausers are some of my favorite firearms. Only have 3 right now. A Czech, a Turkish, and a Spanish (in .308).

As far as .308 or .30-06, I'd say do what you'd enjoy. I've never seen Mausers that were pretty beaten sell for very much (compared to average or above in the same) unless it has some sort of documented history. You could always rebarrel if you wanted. If the headspace issue is coming from the barrel not being set right, you should be good to go. If it wasn't properly hardened you might have locking lugs that got pushed back a bit.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You know Dave passed away from his colon cancer last week? If you have any firearms at his shop for repair, PM me so I can tell you how to get them back.

Back to the original question. Looking at the pics of you rifle, I think I would buy a short chambered military contour barrel in 30.06 from Brownells, have Jerry Johnson install it, and just keep on shooting it. Leave the 8mm way behind. I think you can get that done for about $350 or so.

I would also consider turning it into a great Scout rifle. I have done that a few times too.

DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    You know Dave passed away from his colon cancer last week?
    I didn't know that. Very sad to hear :( Only had that one interaction with him, but he seemed great.

I like the idea of a scout rifle, though I have a Mosin Nagant right now with reversible modifications which kind of serves that role. I love the look of yours Kirk. Is that just a different finish on the original wood stock?

How much money would it take to rebarrel, bend the bolt, and drill/tap the receiver (best estimate)?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think the rebarrel costs about $350 to $400 and the XS scout scope mount is about $100. No drilling or tapping of the receiver is required. Add a $250 Burris Scout scope and rings and you are GTG. On my last, I provided the barrel to Jerry from Brownells.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I love it. What you have is a stripper clip fed rifle that is an actual improvement over the original. Especially if chambered in 308 or 30.06.

slough, I kept it in 7.92X57. It loves the 170 grain soft point from Remington, keeping them inside 5 inches at 200 yards (bagged).

I think I have about $750 including optic in it. Trigger job, new extractor, shortened the LOP and new Pacy recoil pad, XS ghost ring, crowned the barrel and slicked the action and CW sling.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    What you have to worry about with old surplus rifles and excess head space is if the lug recesses are worn bad enough to be through the surface heat treatment. If this is the case you may as well sell the rifle off for parts, because you are into the "softer" steel and the receiver is nothing more than scrap metal junk. (and the headspace will just increase when it is fired)

You can buy a brand new Stevens 200 for under $250.00 and have a newer and more accurate rifle and have "MORE" for your money.

Example below, a British Enfield .303 with excess head space, cartridge case stretching in the web area and the possibility of case head separations.

headspacestretch-1.gif

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    You can buy a brand new Stevens 200 for under $250.00 and have a newer and more accurate rifle and have "MORE" for your money.

Yes, but with a Stevens you do not get that amazing old rifle smell... Ya'll know what Im talking about.

I've got a Turk 8mm that Im wanting to spruce up I just need to find a few parts.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I need to do some cosmo cleaning on my Turk and strip the finish to make it pretty again otherwise it'll be a solid shooter the way she sits. Love me some 8mm rifles.

DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    What you have to worry about with old surplus rifles and excess head space is if the lug recesses are worn bad enough to be through the surface heat treatment. If this is the case you may as well sell the rifle off for parts, because you are into the "softer" steel and the receiver is nothing more than scrap metal junk. (and the headspace will just increase when it is fired)

Thanks for the info. These were the kind of things I was worried about. Is this something I can determine on my own, or do I need a professional inspection?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the info. These were the kind of things I was worried about. Is this something I can determine on my own, or do I need a professional inspection?

It is actually unlikely, but still possible. These rifles have mis-matched bolts that are the more likely culprit for excessive headspace. This is easily fixed by either re-barreling the gun or setting back the barrel.

A gunsmith can inspect the lugs with a dental mirror or a bore scope. If the lugs are in the soft part, it is easy to see. Also, if you fire it once, the bolt will be very hard to pick up. You can feel it.

I believe it is far more likely that the bolt is just a major mis-match, but if you have the barrel unscrewed, the lugs will be displayed in all their glory, good or bad.

Top Bottom