• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Never owned or shot one. One for sale local in 16g. Metal and blueing in very good shape. The stock shows a lack of finish about 1/2 inch above recoil pad all the way around. Are they as reliable as an 1100? Thoughts on price?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The 48 was Remington's first attempt to try and get out from under some of J M Browning's patents. JMB was dead, and obviously not going to provide them with any more designs, so they wanted to be free from Browning. It was later determined that is wasn't enough of a change and the royalties stood which is why we got the 58.

It is a good gun and doesn't have the O ring problem like the 1100's, but people were shying away from it due to Remington's lack of full backing to the line as it had not done what it was intended to, which was increase the bottom line for Remington.

The gas operated 58 is a different story, it was a big change and got them their own patent. But it required the mag tube to be reduced to three shots which wasn't a problem since FDR signed a 3 shot max in 1935 making it their first tube mag shotgun not to require a 'plug'.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    BTW, I have owned both 16ga and 12ga and only sold them trying to reduce my collection, er, accumulation of Remington to more fully concentrate on Winchester.

It will shoot and operate just like a 'Sweet 16" but without the hump and definitely a much, much lower price tag.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    People with Remington 1100's carry bags of o rings like people with Winchester 12's carry firing pins...

(have them on hand and pray that you don't ever have to use them)

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    People with Remington 1100's carry bags of o rings like people with Winchester 12's carry firing pins...

(have them on hand and pray that you don't ever have to use them)
    Ive not had one rot or break in tbousands of rounds, trap model or my old magnum from '85. Bought old used ones, rings held up. They make a greyish newer one supposed to hold up better.

Note: I never used WD 40 or non gun oils on my stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe lubes/ solvents ( type and amount ) and environment play a role.

Seriously, heard about 1100 issues w the ring and never experienced it.

Have seen 1100 mess up, one had about a tumbleweed and a half jammed in the trigger group, mag tube sludged and trigger stuff had shellack of some sort.

Gun only worked as a single shot.

Ya friggin think?

The avg gun owner, who proly also owns Remington 1100s....is pretty neglectful/ clueless on keeping em running.

I cleaned the gun, and gas ports and it ran like a champ for the dude.

Proly wipe it down w WD 40 for the next 10 yrs of a weeks bird hunting before it hangs up again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe the gas ring rubber gets torn when rolled over mag tube end during cleaning or left too fwd and rolled back/ damaged by bbl ring when putting bbl on.

Hell I dunno.

Never had issues w mine.
    Had a dozen diff 1100s but only two I ran for a decadeor more.

Of course itd be smart to have a spare O ring just in case. Have one someplace LOL

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Back to the original question: as long as you keep it clean and properly lubricated the 48 runs fine.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    And, the 48 held 2+1 while the 11-48 was 4+1.
    As to price there were 2 at the last gun show I attended, both priced at (I felt) a reasonable $350.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And, the 48 held 2+1 while the 11-48 was 4+1.
    As to price there were 2 at the last gun show I attended, both priced at (I felt) a reasonable $350.
    Thanks for that. It is still sitting for sale. I may let it sit for awhile and then offer them less.

Top Bottom